1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Knowing force direction

1. Jul 21, 2015 #1
    • members are reminded that their problem statement and diagrams must be clear and understandable by others
    How do you know what direction to make vectors A, B and C face when formulating your equation? I guess its unknowable really isn't it?

therefore for the sum of forces in x direction you'd just say C + P + B_x = 0

How about if it is knowable? E.g. if B didn't exist and therefore you'd know C definitely points in the opposite direction to P_x.
    If you then modeled your equation the same as above, and just ignoring signs like this, would you still get the correct answer? P + C = 0

9THChMq.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2015 #2
    I'm having some trouble reading your diagram. What direction are A and B pointing

4. Jul 22, 2015 #3
    My point is that it's unknowable

5. Jul 22, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, it is, given how vaguely worded the OP was.

You mention "your equation", but I haven't the foggiest idea what you are talking about.

6. Jul 22, 2015 #5
    Okay, I'll reword my question. I guess you just need to make an assumption to begin with about which way each vector faces, right? Lets say A and B both point towards the joint, but this turns out to be wrong. How do you know you were wrong?

7. Jul 22, 2015 #6
    if your figure is a free body diagram then you need no assumptions. you need to project your known forces onto some axes and use the requirements for static equilibrium ( i assume that is what this problem is) ΣF=0 for each basis direction

8. Jul 23, 2015 #7

donpacino

Gold Member

just take a guess. if your guess is "wrong" you will get a negative number

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted