Knowing how to use a thermometer

In summary: One of the main reasons for knowing how to use a thermometer is for monitoring body temperature during surgery or in cases of illness. It is also important for conducting precise scientific experiments in fields such as chemistry and physics. Additionally, knowing temperature is crucial for certain professions, such as pilots who need to know the temperature of runways for safe landings. Ultimately, having a sense of temperature is important for our own well-being and the safety of others.
mobb
i got a question when is knowing how to use a thermometer VERY IMPORTANT for us?

Physics news on Phys.org
mobb said:
i got a question when is knowing how to use a thermometer VERY IMPORTANT for us?
Who exactly is "us"? A group of young students who want to be scientists one day?

What's so confusing about it? Stick it in whatever you're measuring and wait a bit - then read how high the alcohol/mercury went. If it's an infrared thermometer, point and click. If it's a thermocouple, read the big numbers on the display (assuming you don't have to calibrate it).

if it's an anal thermometer I'd say it's very important to get it right the first time

mobb said:
when is knowing how to use a thermometer VERY IMPORTANT for us?

When it's very important to know what temperature something is at.

when is important to know the temperature anywhere inside ur house, outside in the cold, the warm, when is it important

when is it very important to know anything?!?

(refer to brewnog)

ya know... "the importance of knowing" is always subjective and therefore relative.

my 2 cents:
perhaps it is more important to know who asks the question? ...

mobb said:
when is important to know the temperature anywhere inside ur house, outside in the cold, the warm, when is it important
For example, water freezes at 0 degrees C (32 degrees F). When you are landing an airplane on a cold wet runway, if the runway is at -1 degrees C, you could crash because of ice; but if it is at +1 degrees C, you are OK.

sameandnot said:
ya know... "the importance of knowing" is always subjective and therefore relative.
Wrong. There is a big difference between landing on an icy runway and landing on a wet runway, for example. People with responsibilities (like pilots, and airport managers) can't afford to use cop-outs like that.

When we have no sense of temperature ourselves?!

Aether said:
Wrong. There is a big difference between landing on an icy runway and landing on a wet runway, for example. People with responsibilities (like pilots, and airport managers) can't afford to use cop-outs like that.

of course, you are right Aether.

strawberry and banana smoothies are made with ice.

i hate 'em hot!

Aether said:
When you are landing an airplane on a cold wet runway, if the runway is at -1 degrees C, you could crash because of ice; but if it is at +1 degrees C, you are OK.
Did you forget to pull the carb heat lever? On any decent size of runway, there's no need for brakes, so ice isn't that big of a deal. You don't get weird **** like pressure ridges on a reasonably well maintained strip.

Mobb, the primary times that temperature is critical are in physiology and delicate experiments about chemistry, physics, etc.. For instance, you have to monitor body temperature very carefully during surgery.

i was just asking a question for my project, this is supposedly to be a science forums not a playing forums :frown:

One of these days you may have a kid/s and s/he may seem sick and you might want to take their temperature to find out if s/he is sick. Or you might be sick yourself one day, and usually it is a good idea to take your temperature.

mobb said:
i was just asking a question for my project, this is supposedly to be a science forums not a playing forums :frown:

General discussion is the playing bit, sorry mobb!

mobb said:
Try the homework help section.

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/US/12/08/chicago.airplane/t1.plane.midway.wfld.jpg
Danger said:
On[/URL] any decent size of runway, there's no need for brakes, so ice isn't that big of a deal.
cnn.com Updated: 9:02 p.m. EST (02:02 GMT), December 8, 2005 BREAKING NEWS A jetliner trying to land in heavy snow and wind at Midway International Airport, Chicago, slid off a runway, authorities report.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Aether;
I must confess that I was thinking of the kind of things that I drove rather than those flying hotels, but I would still contend that the runway ice itself wouldn't have caused an accident like that without the accompanying storm conditions. I might be wrong, but I've never heard of it happening in calm weather.

Danger said:
Hey Aether;
I must confess that I was thinking of the kind of things that I drove rather than those flying hotels, but I would still contend that the runway ice itself wouldn't have caused an accident like that without the accompanying storm conditions. I might be wrong, but I've never heard of it happening in calm weather.
Hello Danger, perhaps it is more an issue of being able to steer than anything else. An airliner can use up quite a bit of runway in order to come to a complete stop.

There is that. I tend not to think on that scale, being, as my signature implies, a guy who once parked a Cessna in someone's back yard. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Danger said:
There is that. I tend not to think on that scale, being, as my signiture implies, a guy who once parked a Cessna in someone's back yard. :biggrin:
I figured that mobb would naturally picture an airliner when I said "airplane"...back yard, eh? Did you break anything important?

Naw. I was practicing short-field TO's & landings, and there it was. (It was actually a pretty big yard, but I like to omit that part. :biggrin: ) It belonged to someone I knew, and I had permission to do it.

Aether said:
http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2005/US/12/08/chicago.airplane/t1.plane.midway.wfld.jpg cnn.com[/URL]

That's probably one of the prettier crash landing scenes I've seen... all the color contrasts...

And more importantly (sorry to abandon the comedy here) it looks like one that everybody lived through.

Danger said:
Naw. I was practicing short-field TO's & landings, and there it was. (It was actually a pretty big yard, but I like to omit that part. ) It belonged to someone I knew, and I had permission to do it.
:cool:

Danger said:
And more importantly (sorry to abandon the comedy here) it looks like one that everybody lived through.
Unfortunately not: Updated: 4:58 a.m. EST (09:58 GMT), December 9, 2005 -- A Southwest Airlines jet skidded off a runway in a heavy snowstorm at Chicago's Midway Airport Thursday night, sliding into an intersection and killing a young boy in a car. Another car was also hit by the Boeing 737 and eight other vehicle passengers were in serious condition, said Cortez Trotter, the Chicago Fire Department commissioner.

Last edited:
Crap! That sucks. :frown:

Just goes to prove the old saying. Flying is safer than driving.

I am not getting any closer to heaven this way. someone needs to stop me before I talk next time

The SW Flight 1248 was landing on runway 4R (6446 ft / 1965 m), which is not a long runway, after circling the airport for about 30-35 minutes. Possibly the aircraft landed long on the runway, and ran out of runway. It would be interesting to learn how long (or even if) the pilot used reverse thrust.

Visibility was poor, and the temperature was about 26°F (-3°C).

Anybody following the story might find this useful.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midway_Airport
http://www.ohare.com/cnrc/midway/airport_layout_diagram_gifpage.shtm

For anyone venturing outside in the winter, it would be very important to know about the temperature, and dress accordingly. Either must must read a thermometer or one must receive the information from someone who does.

If one has a hot liquid and on has to pick up the container, then perhaps it would be advisable to know what temperature it is, especially if one is planning to pick up the container with one's bare hands.

If one is serving a hot beverage, then perhaps it is also wise to know at what temperature the liquid is before serving.

Water above about 120°F (49°C) is considered hot with regard to contact. Water boils at 212°F (100 °C), which is usually the temperature at which one makes tea.

1. What is the purpose of a thermometer?

A thermometer is a scientific instrument used to measure temperature. It is commonly used in various fields such as medicine, weather forecasting, and cooking.

2. How do you use a thermometer?

To use a thermometer, you need to first read the instructions provided by the manufacturer. Generally, you need to place the thermometer in the area or substance you want to measure the temperature of, and wait for a few seconds for the reading to stabilize. Then, you can read the temperature on the display or scale.

3. What are the different types of thermometers?

There are several types of thermometers, including liquid-filled, digital, infrared, and bimetallic thermometers. Each type has its own advantages and is suitable for different purposes. Liquid-filled thermometers are commonly used for measuring body temperature, while infrared thermometers are used for non-contact temperature measurements.

4. How accurate are thermometers?

The accuracy of a thermometer depends on its type and quality. Most thermometers have an accuracy range of +/- 0.5 to 1 degree Celsius. However, some high-precision thermometers can have an accuracy of up to +/- 0.1 degree Celsius.

5. How do you calibrate a thermometer?

To ensure the accuracy of a thermometer, it is important to calibrate it regularly. This can be done by comparing the thermometer's reading to a known temperature source, such as a calibrated thermometer or a temperature standard. If there is a difference in the readings, the thermometer can be adjusted or recalibrated accordingly.