Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Knowing how to use a thermometer

1. Dec 4, 2005 #1
    i got a question when is knowing how to use a thermometer VERY IMPORTANT for us?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2005 #2

Aether

Gold Member

Who exactly is "us"? A group of young students who want to be scientists one day?

4. Dec 4, 2005 #3
    What's so confusing about it? Stick it in whatever you're measuring and wait a bit - then read how high the alcohol/mercury went. If it's an infrared thermometer, point and click. If it's a thermocouple, read the big numbers on the display (assuming you don't have to calibrate it).

5. Dec 4, 2005 #4
    if it's an anal thermometer I'd say it's very important to get it right the first time

6. Dec 4, 2005 #5

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When it's very important to know what temperature something is at.

7. Dec 4, 2005 #6
    when is important to know the temperature anywhere inside ur house, outside in the cold, the warm, when is it important

8. Dec 4, 2005 #7
    when is it very important to know anything?!?

(refer to brewnog)

9. Dec 4, 2005 #8
    ya know... "the importance of knowing" is always subjective and therefore relative.

10. Dec 4, 2005 #9
    my 2 cents:
    perhaps it is more important to know who asks the question? ....

11. Dec 4, 2005 #10

Aether

Gold Member

For example, water freezes at 0 degrees C (32 degrees F). When you are landing an airplane on a cold wet runway, if the runway is at -1 degrees C, you could crash because of ice; but if it is at +1 degrees C, you are OK.

12. Dec 4, 2005 #11

Aether

Gold Member

Wrong. There is a big difference between landing on an icy runway and landing on a wet runway, for example. People with responsibilities (like pilots, and airport managers) can't afford to use cop-outs like that.

13. Dec 4, 2005 #12
    When we have no sense of temperature ourselves?!

14. Dec 4, 2005 #13
    of course, you are right Aether.

strawberry and banana smoothies are made with ice.

15. Dec 4, 2005 #14
    i hate 'em hot!

16. Dec 4, 2005 #15

Danger

Gold Member

Did you forget to pull the carb heat lever? On any decent size of runway, there's no need for brakes, so ice isn't that big of a deal. You don't get weird **** like pressure ridges on a reasonably well maintained strip.

Mobb, the primary times that temperature is critical are in physiology and delicate experiments about chemistry, physics, etc.. For instance, you have to monitor body temperature very carefully during surgery.

17. Dec 4, 2005 #16
    i was just asking a question for my project, this is supposedly to be a science forums not a playing forums :frown:

18. Dec 4, 2005 #17
    One of these days you may have a kid/s and s/he may seem sick and you might want to take their temperature to find out if s/he is sick. Or you might be sick yourself one day, and usually it is a good idea to take your temperature.

19. Dec 4, 2005 #18

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

General discussion is the playing bit, sorry mobb!

20. Dec 4, 2005 #19

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Try the homework help section.

21. Dec 8, 2005 #20

Aether

Gold Member

[​IMG]
    cnn.com Updated: 9:02 p.m. EST (02:02 GMT), December 8, 2005 BREAKING NEWS A jetliner trying to land in heavy snow and wind at Midway International Airport, Chicago, slid off a runway, authorities report.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?