Knowing when to go by pressure and when to go by temp

• Thread starter alberto23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, the tables can be useful for locating yourself in the process, but you need to know where you are located in order to use them effectively.
alberto23
I'm taking a 300 level introductory course to thermodynamics (i am a mechanical engineering major). I am having trouble using the tables, such as knowing when to go by pressure and when to go by temp, etc. i know a lot of this just comes with experience. but i was wondering if there was a flowchart or something on the internet that laid out the process. our exams are open-notes so it would really help. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
where are u going to school

i have the same problem too! :P

Yeah dude it is tricky
But remmember you at least need two properties to locate your self in the tables, you must use the preassure tables if they give you preassure and temperature.
If they give you temperature then you use temp tables, but they need to tell you where are you located (mixture region, sat liq, sat vap, compress liq, or superheated liq)

yes

that is exactly the kind of info i need!

most of the other students in my class have the solutions manual, but i chose to do all my homework myself. i usually look up the final answer in the back of the book before i start each problem. so i know when i have the right answer. i just don't seem to be able to remember the process very well when it comes test time.

Sounds like the good old steam tables.

In general,

If P > Psat or T < Tsat, then one has compressed liquid.

If P < Psat or T > Tsat, then one has superheated steam or vapor.

There is off-course when T is above the critical point - supercritical steam.

Under saturated conditions, one needs to determine the quality.

See if this helps - http://www.engineersedge.com/thermodynamics/table_contents.htm

Become familiar with P-T, P-v and P-v-T diagrams, and perhaps the Mollier diagrams.

Can you give us some examples of questions you are unsure of?

The tables I use are pretty straightforward. The only tricky bit is interpolation, which is a bit of a hassle. If you keep having a go, youll get it pretty quickly.

1. How do I know when to use pressure or temperature in my experiment?

The decision to use pressure or temperature as the controlling variable in an experiment depends on the specific goals and objectives of the study. In general, pressure is more useful for changing the physical state of a substance, while temperature is better for observing chemical reactions. It is important to carefully consider the desired outcome of the experiment before deciding which variable to manipulate.

2. Can I use both pressure and temperature in my experiment?

Yes, it is possible to use both pressure and temperature in an experiment. However, it is important to be aware of potential interactions between the two variables and to carefully control and monitor their values to ensure accurate and reliable results.

3. How do I measure pressure and temperature accurately?

There are various instruments and techniques available for measuring pressure and temperature, such as pressure gauges, thermometers, and thermocouples. It is important to use calibrated instruments and follow proper measurement procedures to ensure accurate results.

4. Is there a specific order in which I should manipulate pressure and temperature?

There is no set rule for the order in which pressure and temperature should be manipulated in an experiment. However, it is important to carefully plan and follow a consistent approach to ensure reliable and reproducible results.

5. How can I determine the optimal pressure and temperature for my experiment?

The optimal values for pressure and temperature in an experiment will depend on the specific objectives and conditions of the study. It may require trial and error, or previous research and knowledge in the field, to determine the most suitable values. It is also important to consider safety and ethical considerations when determining the optimal conditions.