Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Knowledge of physics advances

1. Nov 11, 2009 #1
    hi friends,i wonder if anyone can give me a link to a good layman book about the latest advancements in physics ,pertaining to explaining our existence and the forces behind it,and please no cosmology issued or big bang stuff,just applied physics to creation.thanks:wink:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2009 #2
    Applied physics to creation that has nothing to do with the big bang or cosmology? That's intense. I was under the impression that that's what the big bang theory is.

I mean, what information could you possibly be looking for? I guess perhaps evolution stuff? Chemistry? I dunno... your gona have to be much more specific.

4. Nov 11, 2009 #3
    i will try.meaning how physics could explain creation,is there a theory for all?a unified explanatory theory that tells us ,not how life came about,but how it is sustained in a manner that prevents its demise.is this explained by material phenomenon ,or is it beyond our understanding at the moment?

5. Nov 11, 2009 #4
    The science of life is called biology, it's a fascinating field but it is definitely huge... where to start? Look up some stuff and come back with more questions!

6. Nov 11, 2009 #5
    i stand to correct myself,i want to know how physics and not biology can explain,not life i am sorry,but rather the sustenance of existence as a whole ,as we know it today.

7. Nov 11, 2009 #6
    The sustenance of existence? You mean pot?

EDIT: I bet these guys can help you, she (him, it, spirit) was on 'What the Bleep do We Know?'. http://www.ramtha.com/

8. Nov 11, 2009 #7
    if you dont kn;ow just say so,and dont refer me t;o some superstitious material,not what i expected.thankd anyway mate.:frown:

9. Nov 11, 2009 #8
    I'm sorry, I must have misunderstood your question. What exactly DO you mean by the term 'sustenance of existence'?

10. Nov 11, 2009 #9
    the physical forces that is able to hold the universe together,from the massive galaxies to the tiniest electron,the all embracing physics theory of everything,how far is p;hysics close to an explanation?thanks bro:smile:

11. Nov 11, 2009 #10
    As far as we know it's all fields on fields, with different fields having different properties and interactions. As far as understanding all of the different fields under one umbrella we cannot at the moment. Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity are at odds with eachother in some very deep ways.

So the answer is that we are pretty far from an explanation. We have a good idea where we came from and why we are here (biology / evolution / chemistry) but as for why there is a universe at all I don't think we can ever deduce that from observation, but who knows?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook