Remembering Knut: The Life and Legacy of a Beloved Polar Bear

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polar
In summary, the world mourns the sudden death of Knut, the polar bear who was raised by humans and gained a global following. He collapsed at the young age of four, leaving his fans devastated. Plans to have him stuffed and displayed have caused controversy. Many are grieving the loss of this beloved animal and remembering his early days as a cute cub.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
RIP Knut. :cry:

The only polar bear to ever be raised entirely by humans—and to have his own Vanity Fair cover photo shoot—died suddenly on Saturday in front of hundreds of his many fans. Knut was only four years old when he collapsed, leaving grieving admirers all over the world to cope with his early death.
continued...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110321/us_yblog_thelookout/world-mourns-loveable-polar-bear-knut

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I must admit, that made me tear up a bit.:cry:. I recall reading about him being hand raised. Sad he had such a short life.

:frown:

He would have been more at home in the (melting) Alps.

:( so sad

Yeesh. I was hoping to cast him in my future romance movie.

Oh hell... I hate crying, but animals... they always get me. I can't help thinking of all the other Knuts dying elsewhere... so much needless death.

Anima eius et animae omnium fidelium defunctorum per Dei misericordiam requiescant in pace.

It seems like only yesterday when he was a wee little cub.

... But updates to the story say they want to have him STUFFED and put on display?
(I'm all for donating one's remains to science, but that just wrong.)

I felt sadder when that octopus that predicted the results in the football world cup died. I've forgotten his name already.

qspeechc said:
I felt sadder when that octopus that predicted the results in the football world cup died. I've forgotten his name already.

Sucky? Tentaculus? Beaker? :wink:

1. What caused Knut the polar bear's death?

Knut's cause of death was a brain disease called encephalitis, which resulted in epileptic seizures.

2. How old was Knut when he died?

Knut was 4 years old when he passed away.

3. Was Knut's death unexpected?

Yes, Knut's death was unexpected as he was overall healthy and did not show any signs of illness prior to his passing.

4. Did Knut's death have any impact on the polar bear population?

No, Knut's death did not have any impact on the polar bear population as he was raised in captivity and was not a part of the wild polar bear population.

5. How did Knut's death affect the public?

Knut's death sparked a global outpouring of grief and sadness, as he had become a beloved symbol of conservation and animal welfare.