Kolmogorov & Fomin's Elements of Theory: Real Analysis or Lebesque?

In summary: With its focus on functional analysis and metric spaces, it may be more suitable for those looking to delve into those areas of study. However, it may not be the best choice for those solely interested in real analysis. It is also noted that the pace of the book is more challenging and may require more concentration. It is recommended to read other books for a more thorough understanding of functional analysis.
zyj
I'm looking for a Real Analysis book to start with, besides Spivak. On Amazon, one of the reviewers said it was good as a subsequent book for learning Functional Analysis/Lebesque Integration, while another said it was a good introduction to Real Analysis. For those of you that have read it, which is it?

Physics news on Phys.org

I haven't read it in full, I must admit, only started it a while back. But I'd say it is more geared towards functional analysis and Lebesgue. The reason why some readers say it is good for real analysis is probably because it has a chapter on metric spaces. The book overall is not bad, I'd say, but the pace is not leisurely, and you'll have to concentrate a bit more than for some other books. But really, as I said, I haven't read most of the book, so I can't say too much about it. I think if you really want to study functional analysis, some other books might be better, as the functional analysis part in this book is rather modest. But as an introduction in general, it's probably quite good.

Do you think I would be able to handle it after or while concurrently reading Spivak?

I think there's a rather large gap going from Spivak to Kolmogorov and Fomin. That gap is also known as Baby Rudin.

zyj said:
Do you think I would be able to handle it after or while concurrently reading Spivak?

It would be reasonable to attempt the book after reading and working through the problems in the calculus text by Spivak.

1. What is the purpose of "Kolmogorov & Fomin's Elements of Theory: Real Analysis or Lebesgue"?

The purpose of "Kolmogorov & Fomin's Elements of Theory: Real Analysis or Lebesgue" is to provide a comprehensive and rigorous introduction to real analysis, including the theory of Lebesgue integration. It covers a wide range of topics, including sequences and series, continuity, differentiation, integration, and more.

2. Who are the authors of "Kolmogorov & Fomin's Elements of Theory: Real Analysis or Lebesgue"?

The authors of "Kolmogorov & Fomin's Elements of Theory: Real Analysis or Lebesgue" are Andrey Nikolayevich Kolmogorov and Sergei Vasilyevich Fomin. They were both renowned mathematicians and professors at Moscow State University.

3. Is "Kolmogorov & Fomin's Elements of Theory: Real Analysis or Lebesgue" suitable for beginners in real analysis?

No, "Kolmogorov & Fomin's Elements of Theory: Real Analysis or Lebesgue" is not suitable for beginners. It is a rigorous and advanced text intended for students with a strong background in mathematics, including calculus, linear algebra, and basic analysis.

4. What sets "Kolmogorov & Fomin's Elements of Theory: Real Analysis or Lebesgue" apart from other real analysis textbooks?

"Kolmogorov & Fomin's Elements of Theory: Real Analysis or Lebesgue" is known for its concise and elegant presentation of real analysis concepts. It also includes many challenging exercises and problems, making it a valuable resource for students and researchers in the field.

5. Can "Kolmogorov & Fomin's Elements of Theory: Real Analysis or Lebesgue" be used as a reference for graduate-level courses?

Yes, "Kolmogorov & Fomin's Elements of Theory: Real Analysis or Lebesgue" is often used as a reference for graduate-level courses in real analysis. Its comprehensive coverage and rigorous approach make it a popular choice among mathematics professors and students.