Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Koran on use of loud speakers in mosques

1. Nov 16, 2005 #1
    I live near a mosque, I've had no problem so far regarding the use of loud speakers to pray. But since the last month they've cranked up the volume so high it's unbearable. So I want to know if the Koran asks 4 people to go on the minarets and shout and pray or 4 loudspeakers?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2005 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

لْقُرآن

The human voice is used to announce the times of prayer to the community. The adhan ( ذَان ) is the call to prayer itself, and the person who calls it is called the muadhan (muezzin).

Modern mosques use loud speakers - so this is a new development. I doubt the Qur'an addressed the volume since individuals would have limited volume. Likely the procedure(s) for adhan are in the Hadith, perhaps by al-Bukhari.

Perhaps one can ask the Imam.

For those not familiar with Qur'an, here is a starting place -
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qur'an

Last edited: Nov 16, 2005
  4. Nov 17, 2005 #3
    I want to know whether the Qur'an specially asks for humans to sing the prayer or vaguely mentions a voice?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?