Koran on use of loud speakers in mosques

• Thread starter chound
  • Start date
In summary, the Qur'an does not specifically mention the use of loud speakers for prayer. The call to prayer, known as adhan, is typically announced by the human voice and this traditional method is mentioned in the Qur'an. However, the use of loud speakers is a newer development and may be addressed in the Hadith. It is recommended to consult with the Imam for clarification.
chound
I live near a mosque, I've had no problem so far regarding the use of loud speakers to pray. But since the last month they've cranked up the volume so high it's unbearable. So I want to know if the Koran asks 4 people to go on the minarets and shout and pray or 4 loudspeakers?

Physics news on Phys.org
لْقُرآن

The human voice is used to announce the times of prayer to the community. The adhan ( ذَان ) is the call to prayer itself, and the person who calls it is called the muadhan (muezzin).

Modern mosques use loud speakers - so this is a new development. I doubt the Qur'an addressed the volume since individuals would have limited volume. Likely the procedure(s) for adhan are in the Hadith, perhaps by al-Bukhari.

Perhaps one can ask the Imam.

For those not familiar with Qur'an, here is a starting place -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qur'an

Last edited:
I want to know whether the Qur'an specially asks for humans to sing the prayer or vaguely mentions a voice?

1. What is the reason for using loud speakers in mosques?

In Islam, the call to prayer (adhan) is an important part of the religion and is traditionally done through a human voice. However, with the increasing size of mosques and the surrounding community, loud speakers are used to ensure that the call to prayer can be heard by all.

2. Is the use of loud speakers in mosques mentioned in the Koran?

The Koran does not specifically mention the use of loud speakers in mosques. However, the use of technology to amplify the call to prayer is seen as a practical solution to ensure that the message is heard by all.

3. Are there any guidelines or restrictions for the use of loud speakers in mosques according to the Koran?

The Koran emphasizes the importance of respecting the peace and quiet of others and not causing disturbance. Therefore, the use of loud speakers should be done with consideration for the surrounding community and should not be excessively loud or used at inappropriate times.

4. Do all mosques use loud speakers for the call to prayer?

No, not all mosques use loud speakers for the call to prayer. Some smaller mosques may still rely on a human voice, while others may use a combination of both a human voice and loud speakers.

5. Are there any controversies surrounding the use of loud speakers in mosques?

Some controversies have arisen regarding the volume of the loud speakers and the timing of the call to prayer, as it may disturb non-Muslims and those of different faiths. However, many Muslim communities and leaders have taken steps to address these concerns and ensure that the use of loud speakers is respectful and considerate of others.