Solving Answering Questions on de Moivres Theorem

• Thread starter Theman123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, Pranav-Arora suggests that it doesn't matter whether the real part is positive or negative, all that's required is for its imaginary part to be zero.
Theman123

Homework Statement

2rr76l5.jpg

This problem is probably quite simple for people who have covered this topic but the answer for part A is n=4k where k is any integer.

Part B answer is n= 2+4k

Look below for the working out and i will tell you what i don't understand

Homework Equations

de moivres theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

polar form is ([itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] cis [itex]\pi[/itex] /4)^n

so [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]^n [cos(n[itex]\pi[/itex] /4)] +isin(n[itex]\pi[/itex] /4)] (demoivres theorem)

When Sin (n[itex]\pi[/itex] /4) = 0 the equation is real

n[itex]\pi[/itex] /4 = 0 +k2[itex]\pi[/itex] (For some reason this should be +k[itex]\pi[/itex] which is why i don't get the answer.

n=8k (solving for n)

Part b is prety much the same thing but cos (n[itex]\pi[/itex] /4) The question that i am asking is why is it +k[itex]\pi[/itex] and not +k2[itex]\pi[/itex] as that is usually the period for sin and cosine but [itex]\pi[/itex] is the period for tan i know that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to find out the general solution for:-
sin[itex]\frac{n\pi}{4}[/itex]=0

Pranav-Arora said:
Try to find out the general solution for:-
sin[itex]\frac{n\pi}{4}[/itex]=0
What Pranav-Arora suggests is correct. All that's required to make (z+i)n real is for its imaginary part to be zero. It doesn't matter whether the real part is positive of if it's negative.

Similarly, to make it purely imaginary, its real part must be zero.

Theman123 said:
The question that i am asking is why is it +k[itex]\pi[/itex] and not +k2[itex]\pi[/itex] as that is usually the period for sin and cosine but [itex]\pi[/itex] is the period for tan i know that.

Even though the period is 2[itex]\pi[/itex], sinx = 0 at both 0 and at [itex]\pi[/itex].

so are you suggesting that both answers are correct whether i write both pi and 2pi? as sin = 0 at both, how about cos its zero at pi/2 and 3pi/2 but in the book it sais pi aswell

Okay I've figured out out now thankyou very much! :))

1. What is de Moivre's Theorem?

De Moivre's Theorem is a mathematical theorem that allows us to raise a complex number to a power n. It is written in the form (cos x + i sin x)^n and is used to simplify complex number calculations.

2. What is the formula for de Moivre's Theorem?

The formula for de Moivre's Theorem is (cos x + i sin x)^n = cos(nx) + i sin(nx). This formula allows us to easily calculate the power of a complex number without having to multiply it out.

3. How is de Moivre's Theorem used in solving problems?

De Moivre's Theorem is used in solving problems involving complex numbers, such as finding roots and powers of complex numbers. It is also used in trigonometry to simplify calculations involving trigonometric functions.

4. What are the key concepts to understand when using de Moivre's Theorem?

The key concepts to understand when using de Moivre's Theorem are complex numbers, trigonometry, and the concept of raising a complex number to a power. It is also important to understand how to convert between polar and rectangular forms of complex numbers.

5. Can de Moivre's Theorem be used for all powers of complex numbers?

Yes, de Moivre's Theorem can be used for all powers of complex numbers, including negative and fractional powers. However, for fractional powers, the formula (cos x + i sin x)^n = cos(nx) + i sin(nx) must be modified to account for the fractional exponent.