Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kreb's cycle (TCA)

1. Feb 21, 2015 #1

Suraj M

Gold Member

In the isomerisation step of Krebs cycle, the second last step in regeneration. there is a change form fumaric acid to Malic acid by Fumarase. My text book says that H2O is also added. From chemistry I know that that Malic and Fumaric acid are sterioisomers, Then why need that H2O??

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2015 #2

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are confusing malic and and maleic?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  4. Feb 21, 2015 #3

Suraj M

Gold Member

Oh I did not know they were two different compounds! So Maleic acid and fumaric acid are isomers and Malic acid has 2H and 1O extra! Got it thanks!

5. Feb 22, 2015 #4

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The formulae should be spelt out in whatever text you are using. I think it is rather unsatisfactory that all these 'trivial names' for the various carboxylic acids are suddenly just thrown at students coming to the TCA cycle as if they were known, whereas they will never have met them before. Semi-systematic names - e.g. if they were all like alpha-keto-glutarate - would be better IMO.

As I see you are a frequent poster at this site, I will hopefully come back in the next few days with some other considerations about the TCA cycle you might find useful.

6. Feb 23, 2015 #5

Suraj M

Gold Member

Thank you epenguin :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook