1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kronecker Delta

1. Sep 1, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show by matrix multiplication, [tex]\delta_{ij}v_j = v_i[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm having trouble understanding how to do this, because I'm under the impression that [tex]v_j[/tex] is a row vector, which can't be multiplied by a 3x3 matrix which [tex]\delta_{ij}[/tex] is; or am I horribly wrong here?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2007 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

I believe the Kronecker delta is just the identity matrix... if it's a 3x3 matrix, then [tex]v_j[/tex] is 3x1 (3 rows, 1 column)

4. Sep 1, 2007 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Row vectors (n,1) can be multiplied by matrices (n,n) only if they stay at the right of the matrix, which is the case here.

5. Sep 1, 2007 #4
    Then shouldn't the unity matrix give another row vector as an answer? I'm trying to understand how [tex]v_i = v_j[/tex]

6. Sep 1, 2007 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

But the unit matrix 0 nondiagonal elements, so that v_{i}=v_{j} only for i=j.

7. Sep 1, 2007 #6

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Aren't we talking about column vectors here... 3x1 is a column vector... and the result of the multiplication gives the same column vector back...

[tex]\delta_{ij}v_j[/tex] denotes the sum over all j... for a particular i... ie: it is analogous to the multiplying the ith row of the matrix by the column vector [tex]v[/tex]... and the result is [tex]v_i[/tex]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?