1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kronecker exponentiation

1. Jan 19, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am trying to derive the Kronecker exponentiation relation:

[tex] e^A \otimes e^B = e^{A \oplus B} [/tex]

with A,B as n-by-n and m-by-m matrices.

2. Relevant equations

Kronecker sum is defined as:

[tex] A \oplus B = A \otimes I_m + B \otimes I_n [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I first tackle the simpler case of A,B and I all being 2-by-2 matrices.

[tex] A \otimes I = \begin{bmatrix} A_{11} I & A_{12} I \\ A_{21} I & A_{22} I \end{bmatrix} [/tex]

and

[tex] I \otimes B = \begin{bmatrix} B & 0 \\ 0 & B \end{bmatrix} [/tex]

Then I can represent [itex] A \otimes I [/itex] as the sum of one diagonal and two nilpotent matrices. This makes their matrix exponentiation easier. [itex] I \otimes B [/itex] is a diagonal block matrix and exponentiating it, we get a block matrix with blocks of [itex] e^B [/itex] along the diagonal, i.e.:

[tex] e^{I \otimes B} = \begin{bmatrix} e^B & 0 \\ 0 & e^B \end{bmatrix} [/tex]

I tried multiplying the matrices together and it might have worked but it was taking too much time and it is clearly not feasible to prove the general case.

However I notice that [itex] e^{I \otimes B} = I \otimes e^B [/itex].

Now if we can write [itex] e^{A \otimes I} = e^A \otimes I [/itex] the problem is over since [itex] ( e^A \otimes I ) ( I \otimes e^B ) = e^A \otimes e^B [/itex].

However I am not aware of a property of matrix exponentiation that justifies the last step.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2014 #2
    Here is a way to tackle your last question. The statement is true if A is diagonal. Can you show it is true if A is diagonalizable? Can you show it is true if A is not diagonalizable but is in Jordan form? I believe if A is in Jordan form with blocks ##J_1, J_2 ... ## etc then ##e^A## is just ##e^{J_1}, e^{J_2},## etc.

Since most of the properties of the underlying matrices are the same under the Kronecker product, I think this would most likely work out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted