1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kronig-Penney model

1. Mar 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

My homework has to do with the Kronig-Penney model for an electron moving in a 1-D periodic lattice. I already figured out part A, which asked for me to show that E(k) approached the energy of a free electron for electrons with high energies in the lattice.

Part B is asking: Find an expression for the lowest possible energy of an electron. Why isn't this zero?

Part C is asking : find an expression for the band gap at k = pi/d.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]cos(kd)=cos(k_{1}d)+P\frac{sin(k_{1}d)}{k_{1}d}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm having a lot of trouble with the implicit nature of this equation in this problem. For part B, I know that cos(kd) has to be between +1 and -1, but at lower values of E, the right hand side of the equation is greater than 1, resulting in a band. That's why there is some lowest possible energy above zero. I'm just stuck on showing this numerically.

For Part C, I got
    [tex]-1=cos(k_{1}d)+P\frac{sin(k_{1}d)}{k_{1}d}[/tex]
    and then
    [tex]1+P\frac{sin(k_{1}d)}{k_{1}d}=cos(k_{1}d)[/tex]

but after that I'm stuck and I'm not sure what kind of expression I'm supposed to find for the band gap.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2008 #2
    I'm not sure what's hiding in your k1's and P's (is k the same as k1?), but there's a really good treatment of this in McKelvey's Solid State Physics (section 8.3 in my version).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?