1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kronig-Penney potential as spacing -> infinity

1. Nov 29, 2008 #1
    Kronig-Penney potential as spacing --> infinity

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that in the limit that the atomic sites of the Kronig-Penney potential become far removed from each other (b-->infinity), energies of the more strongly bound electrons (E<<V) become the eigenenergies k1a=n*Pi of a 1D box of width a.

(This is problem 16 in chapter 8 of Liboff, if you have this text).

2. Relevant equations

The b in the problem refers to the spacing of the atomic sites - if d is the spacing of the sites and a is the width of the well, a+b=d.

There are only two equations in this whole section that even use b, so far as I can tell, and these are the "dispersion relations" that Liboff gets to determine the eigenenergies. There is one for the case of E>V and E<V. I believe the latter is the pertinent one for this problem (correct me if I'm wrong) and this is:

E< V ==> cos(k1*a)cosh(k*b) - [(k1^2 - k^2)/2*k1*k]* sin(k1*a)sinh(k*b) = cos(k*d).

3. The attempt at a solution

Here is my problem. I am a bit confused in general about why this is a dispersion relation, and worse, the limits confuse me: cosh(b*k) and sinh(b*k) both blow up when b approaches infinity, so as far as I can tell the left hand side of the so-called dispersion relation becomes infinity-infinity which is undefined.

If I ignore mathematics for a minute and play the hand-waving game I could maybe say that since the LHS goes to infinity but the RHS is finite, that the sin(k1*a) must** equal 0 and this would give us the necessary condition of k1*a=n*Pi... but that would only make the sine term 0, not the cosine term, and then I have something left like (-1)^n * infinity = cos(k*d).... I have NO idea what that means... so yeah... I am clearly doing something wrong.

** I know 0*infinity is no good either, but this is a tactic my professor has used on the board numerous times. I don't like it, but it seems to be a physics hand-wavy thing - maybe would work here??
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?