Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kruzkal coordinates for inside the horizon

1. Jun 10, 2013 #1
    We start by defining two coordinates ##u=t+r^*## and ##v=t-r^*##. Then we define another two coordinates ##u'=e^{u/4GM}## and ##v'=-e^{-v/4GM}##. But from what I have understood this is true for ##r>2GM##. How do we define ##u'## and ##v'## for ##r<2GM##?

I think it's ##u'=e^{u/4GM}## and ##v'=e^{-v/4GM}## for ##r<2GM## so that the line element is the same for ##r<2GM## and ##r>2GM##.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2013 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

Why don't you just look up Kruskal coordinates on Wikipedia.

4. Jun 11, 2013 #3
    Yes, I looked at it. But I asked something specific and the wiki article doesn't answer it.
    I'm reading Carroll's notes and there he defines u' and v' in the similar way, but only for r>2GM.
    Same in Wald's book.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  5. Jun 11, 2013 #4

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

The extended Kruskal representation of the Schwarzschild metric ##ds^{2} = \frac{32M^{3}e^{\frac{-r}{2M}}}{r}(-dT^{2} + dX^{2}) + r^{2}d\Omega^{2}## is valid for all ##r > 0## which from the definition ##(\frac{r}{2M} - 1)e^{\frac{r}{2M}} = X^{2} - T^{2}## yields ##-1 < X^{2} - T^{2}##. This is made clear in both the Wiki article and in Wald (page 154). Compare this with the Rindler space-time.

6. Jun 11, 2013 #5
    In Carroll's notes on page 186 he defines u' and v' only for r>2GM. We need also to make transformation for r<2GM and than write the line element for both regions.

Please check the page 186. I found there another mistake.

7. Jun 11, 2013 #6

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Ah ok. Yes Carroll isn't being complete. The way he wrote it down, the chart has to be defined piecewise for ##r > r_g## and ##r < r_g## (it will agree continuously at ##r = r_g## of course).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook