Krypton factor

1. wolram

wolram 3,769
    Gold Member

Whats with this bunch, land an airyplane its so simple, what a bunch of wallies,
    now a cross wind landing is different, and more exciting, the most difficult
    part of aviation i found was knowing where the heck i was.

2. jcsd
  3. FredGarvin

FredGarvin 5,087
    Science Advisor

And your point would be????

4. Danger

Danger 9,878
    Gold Member

I suspect a malfunction in his oxygen system.

5. FredGarvin

FredGarvin 5,087
    Science Advisor

I was always sitting down and facing front, myslef...How about you Danger?

6. Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

:rofl: Anoxia would have been my guess.

As Fred indicated, usually the pilot's seat or cockpit is the place to be while flying a plane.

Usually in aviation, one is in a plane or at least an airport, the place where there are lots of planes. :biggrin:

Krypton, one of the noble gases, is usually not associated with aviation.

7. Danger

Danger 9,878
    Gold Member

Usually. One does occassionally have to let George do the flying long enough to enroll in the mile-high club. :biggrin:

8. *Kia*

*Kia* 18
    Gold Member

Oh my have you never heard of Krypton Factor.
    The main challenge is to land the plane.

9. Danger

Danger 9,878
    Gold Member

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. My worst challenge was putting a 172 down on target in a 40 knot 35º cross-wind. Even that's not hard as long as you remember to kick out of the crab before you plant the nose gear. :confused:

10. Evo

Staff: Mentor

I believe the Krypton Factor is some type of game show in the UK.

11. Danger

Danger 9,878
    Gold Member

Oh, well... it all makes absolutely no sense at all then. :tongue:

edit: Hey, Fred! I just thought of something. You round-wing weirdies don't have Georges, do you? Is there some kind of 'auto-hover' mode to let you into the club, or do you just hope that you don't kick something at an inopportune moment? :rofl:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2005
  12. wolram

wolram 3,769
    Gold Member

On the TV show very talented brainy people can not land the thing, im
    sure the decent rate is set for them, all they have to do is keep it
    straight and on the glide path, yet hardly any can do it.

13. FredGarvin

FredGarvin 5,087
    Science Advisor

There's altitude and heading hold, but not quite the same as what you guys use. I think the only place I have ever seen an autohover type of gadget was on Airwolf. You see, we have to stay awake and actually fly the machine...

I guess there are a lot of things that I wouldn't want kicked at all, let alone at an inappropriate time!

14. FredGarvin

FredGarvin 5,087
    Science Advisor

You need to preface these things for us slow yanks. I'll have to see if I can find a website.

Most people can't drive cars, let alone land a plane.

15. The Seaking Helicopter that the RAF use for Search and Rescue has an autohover, where it will hold a fix altitude but i don't think it works in forward motion!

16. FredGarvin

FredGarvin 5,087
    Science Advisor

It must be similar to the altitude hold I am used to. However, I can't see it as an "automatic hover" since there are always corrections being made. It probably does the same thing ours does and simply eliminates having to adjust the collective and worry solely about the cyclic.

17. brewnog

brewnog 2,791
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Gordon Burns is now a newsreader for North West Tonight!

My hero, except he's no Peter Levy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?