Crosswind Landings: A Journey through Aviation

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aviation
In summary, Fred is saying that the main challenge in aviation is landing the plane, and that the main challenge for very talented brainy people is to keep the plane straight and on the glide path.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Whats with this bunch, land an airyplane its so simple, what a bunch of wallies,
now a cross wind landing is different, and more exciting, the most difficult
part of aviation i found was knowing where the heck i was.

Physics news on Phys.org
And your point would be?

FredGarvin said:
And your point would be?
I suspect a malfunction in his oxygen system.

wolram said:
the most difficult part of aviation i found was knowing where the heck i was.
I was always sitting down and facing front, myslef...How about you Danger?

Danger said:
I suspect a malfunction in his oxygen system.
:rofl: Anoxia would have been my guess.

As Fred indicated, usually the pilot's seat or cockpit is the place to be while flying a plane.

Usually in aviation, one is in a plane or at least an airport, the place where there are lots of planes. :biggrin:

Krypton, one of the noble gases, is usually not associated with aviation.

FredGarvin said:
I was always sitting down and facing front, myslef...How about you Danger?
Usually. One does occassionally have to let George do the flying long enough to enroll in the mile-high club. :biggrin:

Oh my have you never heard of Krypton Factor.
The main challenge is to land the plane.

*Kia* said:
Oh my have you never heard of Krypton Factor.
The main challenge is to land the plane.
I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. My worst challenge was putting a 172 down on target in a 40 knot 35º cross-wind. Even that's not hard as long as you remember to kick out of the crab before you plant the nose gear. :confused:

Danger said:
I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. My worst challenge was putting a 172 down on target in a 40 knot 35º cross-wind. Even that's not hard as long as you remember to kick out of the crab before you plant the nose gear. :confused:
I believe the Krypton Factor is some type of game show in the UK.

Evo said:
I believe the Krypton Factor is some type of game show in the UK.
Oh, well... it all makes absolutely no sense at all then. :tongue:

edit: Hey, Fred! I just thought of something. You round-wing weirdies don't have Georges, do you? Is there some kind of 'auto-hover' mode to let you into the club, or do you just hope that you don't kick something at an inopportune moment? :rofl:

Last edited:
FredGarvin said:
And your point would be?

On the TV show very talented brainy people can not land the thing, I am
sure the decent rate is set for them, all they have to do is keep it
straight and on the glide path, yet hardly any can do it.

Danger said:
Hey, Fred! I just thought of something. You round-wing weirdies don't have Georges, do you? Is there some kind of 'auto-hover' mode to let you into the club, or do you just hope that you don't kick something at an inopportune moment?
There's altitude and heading hold, but not quite the same as what you guys use. I think the only place I have ever seen an autohover type of gadget was on Airwolf. You see, we have to stay awake and actually fly the machine...

I guess there are a lot of things that I wouldn't want kicked at all, let alone at an inappropriate time!

wolram said:
On the TV show very talented brainy people can not land the thing, I am
sure the decent rate is set for them, all they have to do is keep it
straight and on the glide path, yet hardly any can do it.
You need to preface these things for us slow yanks. I'll have to see if I can find a website.

Most people can't drive cars, let alone land a plane.

FredGarvin said:
I think the only place I have ever seen an autohover type of gadget was on Airwolf.

The Seaking Helicopter that the RAF use for Search and Rescue has an autohover, where it will hold a fix altitude but i don't think it works in forward motion!

It must be similar to the altitude hold I am used to. However, I can't see it as an "automatic hover" since there are always corrections being made. It probably does the same thing ours does and simply eliminates having to adjust the collective and worry solely about the cyclic.

Gordon Burns is now a newsreader for North West Tonight!

My hero, except he's no Peter Levy.

What is a crosswind landing?

A crosswind landing is a type of aircraft landing where the wind is blowing perpendicular to the direction of the runway. This means that the wind is hitting the aircraft from the side, which can make the landing more challenging for pilots.

Why are crosswind landings difficult?

Crosswind landings are difficult because they require pilots to make adjustments to their usual landing procedures in order to compensate for the wind. This can involve using different techniques, such as crabbing or slipping, to keep the aircraft aligned with the runway and prevent it from drifting off course.

How do pilots prepare for crosswind landings?

Pilots prepare for crosswind landings by checking the weather conditions before the flight and anticipating potential crosswinds. They also undergo training and practice to develop the necessary skills and techniques for performing crosswind landings.

What factors can affect the difficulty of a crosswind landing?

The difficulty of a crosswind landing can be affected by several factors, including the strength and direction of the wind, the type of aircraft being flown, and the skill level and experience of the pilot. Other factors such as runway conditions and air traffic can also impact the difficulty of a crosswind landing.

Are crosswind landings safe?

Yes, crosswind landings are safe when performed correctly by a skilled and properly trained pilot. However, they do require extra attention and care compared to landing in calm wind conditions. Pilots are trained to make the necessary adjustments and follow specific procedures to ensure a safe and successful crosswind landing.