1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

KsP calculations with solubility values

1. Mar 7, 2004 #1
    Maybe I am doing something horribly wrong here, but these numbers just make absolutely no sense to me.

We are given solubility values which will subsequently be used for Ksp calculations.

I was given hydrogen bromide and 5 solubility values (given in g/100g H2O)

Since 1g = 1mL basically we were given g/100mL.

To calculate Ksp we need mol/L so I converted. One value we were given was 193.8g/100mL

So first I converted to g/L by multiplying by 10. 1938g/L. Next I divided by the molar mass to get mol/L (80.91g/mol). This value ends up being 23.95mol/L which is a ridiculously high number. Did I do something wrong???
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

"Ridiculous?" How many moles of water per liter (liquid)? Don't let your intuition stampede you --- when the numbers look "funny," check them, check your units, check you method, look at similar problems, and move on.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?