1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ksp equilibria AgCl data missing

1. May 12, 2014 #1
    Please look at attached picture.

So, I tried solving it. Apparently, the answer is C. But, I think there is missing information (ie the volume of the initial solution). Care to back me up on this?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2014 #2
    I back you up. Without knowing the volume of the solution, you could have these halogen ions dissolved in an ocean of solvent.

Chet

4. May 12, 2014 #3
    Maybe they meant to assume no change in volume.

5. May 12, 2014 #4
    Yellowflash: I tried it, but it gave me B) as an answer (2.58 g more precisely). I'm not sure I did all the steps correctly though.

6. May 13, 2014 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

It is intended to be a limiting reagent question, with Ksp values given only to help in determining the order of precipitation. But yes, it is incomplete. If the initial volume is 2.4x106 L there will be no precipitate at all. We are not talking about some absurd volumes, 2.4x106 L is almost exactly olympic-size pool.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted