Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kth derivative of the nth iterate

1. Sep 12, 2004 #1
    I'm trying to find a Taylor series for g^n, the nth iterate of g, centered at a fixed point p of g.

I know the first few terms:
    if g^n(x)=a_0 + a_1 (x-p) + a_2 (x-p)^2 + ..., then
    let s=g'(p)
    a_2=[s^(n-1) (s^n - 1) g''(p)] / (2(s-1)).

It's safe to say that a_3 is as complex as a_2 is compared to a_1; it's not pretty.

I have a feeling that Faá di Bruno's formula (http://mathworld.wolfram.com/FaadiBrunosFormula.html) may be involved but I would prefer to avoid that.

One of my goals is to find a formula in which I can let n be something other than an integer to at least approximate some fractional iterates of a function.

Does anyone know a formula for the kth derivative of the nth iterate of g (assuming its sufficiently well behaved)? Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2004 #2
    So far, I have this...

[tex]D\left( g^{m}\left( x\right) \right) =\prod_{j=1}^{m}g^{\prime }\left( g^{m-j}\left( x\right) \right) [/tex] and if p is a fixed point of g, then

[tex]\left. D\left( g^{m}\left( x\right) \right) \right| _{x=p}=g^{\prime }\left( p\right) ^{m}[/tex].

Then the first derivative of the nth iterate of g is this:
    [tex]D\left( g^{n}\left( x\right) \right) =\prod_{j=1}^{n}g^{\prime }\left( g^{n-j}\left( x\right) \right) [/tex]. Now we have the product of n functions and we have to take k-1 more derivatives to get the kth derivative. I'm guessing that a formula for the kth derivative of the product of n functions is this:
    [tex]D^{k}\left( \prod_{j=1}^{n}f_{j}\right) =\sum \frac{k!}{j_{1}!\cdot \cdots \cdot j_{n}!}f_{1}^{\left( j_{1}\right) }\cdot \cdots \cdot f_{n}^{\left( j_{n}\right) }[/tex], where the sum ranges over n-tuples [tex]\left( j_{1},\ldots ,j_{n}\right) [/tex] whose sum is k.

Is that the correct formula for the kth derivative of the product of n functions?

Well, I imagine that that or something like that is correct. Then we apply the formula so that [tex]f_{j}=g^{\prime }\circ g^{n-j}[/tex] but then we'd have to calculate the q-th derivative of the right hand side. ACK!
  4. Sep 16, 2004 #3
    I found a formula though it's not that pretty. See the attached pdf. Next I will try to work out the coefficients.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?