1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kubo formula derivation

1. Dec 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am supposed to show equation 6.6 on page 97 of http://www.phys.lsu.edu/~jarrell/CO...hysics Henrik Bruus and Karsten Flensberg.pdf
    I have tried to plug A and the expression for ln(t)> into 6.3 a) on page 96 but end up with a double integral after doing the linear approximation of the time evolution operator. Is my method correct and if so, how do I conjugate transpose the expression for U when given by the first order integral? Second of all I am quite confused by the notation <A>_0. Does that simply mean <A(t0)> or am I missing something?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have attached my attempt.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, you have the correct approach. But I think you should be careful with the notation and use a carat ^ to denote any operator or state in the interaction picture (as introduced in section 5.3 of the notes.) Also, there is no operator ##\hat{H}''## with a double prime.

You only want to keep terms up to first order in ##\hat{H}'##. So, you should not get a double integral. You will have two single integrals that you can combine into one single integral.

It should be easy to take the Hermitian conjugate of ##\hat{U}## since ##\hat{H}'(t)## is a Hermitian operator.

See just below equation (6.6). The notation ##\langle \rangle_0## means an equilibrium average with respect to the Hamiltonian ##H_0##. Thus ##\langle A \rangle_0## means exactly the expression defined by equation (6.1a). Note that ##\langle A \rangle_0## is time independent, so you don't need to worry about the time for this quantity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted