Exploring Standing Sound Waves: Small Scale Patterns at Antinodes

In summary, higher harmonics are present in the tube and they create additional accumulation of cork dust that are more closely spaced than the main ones and they have smaller amplitude.
donc

Homework Statement

I just used the Kundt's tube to illustrate the effect of a standing sound wave in a glas tube. The characteristic nodes and antinodes were perfectly visible and some small scale striated vibration patterns at the antinodes were prominent. What is the physical explanation for these small scale patterns?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
donc said:

Homework Statement

I just used the Kundt's tube to illustrate the effect of a standing sound wave in a glas tube. The characteristic nodes and antinodes were perfectly visible and some small scale striated vibration patterns at the antinodes were prominent. What is the physical explanation for these small scale patterns?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forums.

They are most probably higher harmonics. Higher harmonics sound waves are surely present in the tube and they will create additional accumulation of cork dust that will be more closely spaced than the main ones, and they will be of smaller amplitude.

Thanks for answering.

Observing higher harmonics has been my first idea as well, however, shouldn't be the first harmonic, i.e. half the wavelength, be the strongest? The observed small scale variations have a very distinct scale. Maybe I should have given more details before. My tube has a length of 0.61m)hence I get for example a resonance for at ~420Hz, i.e. lambda~0.81m. The small scales have a wavelength of about lambda~1cm, i.e. ~33000Hz. Furthermore I did a Fourier analysis of the sound spectrum *outside* of the tube and none of the higher harmonics were very prominent.

Before I performed the experiment I imagined to see the particles moving back and forth rapidly in the antinodes and being more or less motionless in the nodes. However, the particles are moving in these small scale
ripples *perpendicular* to the tube's axis.

Finally, I want to emphazise that these ripples aren't by far an artefact of my experimental design (which is admitably quite simple!) it can also bee seen on all images I have seen so far. As an example I would like you to have a look here:
http://www.physics.montana.edu/demonstrations/video/3_oscillationandwaves/demos/pics/kundtstube3.JPG

I hope somebody can help me with the explanation of these observations.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are standing sound waves?

Standing sound waves are a type of sound wave that occurs when two identical waves travelling in opposite directions interfere with each other. This creates a pattern of nodes (points of no vibration) and antinodes (points of maximum vibration) in a fixed position, resulting in a stationary wave.

2. How are standing sound waves produced?

Standing sound waves are produced when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude travel in opposite directions and overlap with each other. This can occur in a variety of situations, such as when sound reflects off of walls or when two speakers are playing the same sound in opposite directions.

3. What are antinodes in standing sound waves?

Antinodes are points of maximum vibration in a standing sound wave. They occur at the points where the two waves are in phase, meaning they are both at the same point in their vibration cycle. This results in a buildup of energy and a noticeable increase in sound intensity at these points.

4. How do the patterns at antinodes change on a small scale?

On a small scale, the patterns at antinodes can vary depending on the specific conditions of the standing sound wave. For example, if the two waves have slightly different frequencies, the patterns may appear to move or fluctuate. Additionally, changing the position or orientation of the source of the sound waves can also affect the patterns at antinodes.

5. What are the practical applications of exploring standing sound waves?

Exploring standing sound waves can have various practical applications, such as in musical instruments, where standing waves are used to produce specific notes and tones. It can also be used in noise-cancelling technology, where sound waves are manipulated to create destructive interference and cancel out unwanted noise. Understanding standing sound waves can also help improve the design and acoustics of buildings and performance spaces.