1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kva rating calculation

1. Jul 12, 2010 #1
    Hi there,

Can some one assist me as to how to answer this question...

An alternator is connected to a 12kw load and operating at a power factor of 0.8 lag. what is the kva rating of the alternator required to drive the load?

i dont know what formula to use so Any help would be great. cheers
    ------------------------------

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2010 #2
    What limits the power output of your alternator?

4. Jul 12, 2010 #3
    it doesnt say? this is why i dont understand? is it asking what the apparent power value is? if so...
    Apparent pwr= true power/ power factor

is true power 12kw?
    if so....

12000/0.8= 15000va
    =15kva

does that seem right?

5. Jul 12, 2010 #4
    You've been givena 'trick' quesiotn. The limiting factor in a simple alternator is the current. Current generates heat. Heat causes things to fail. How does the current change with the power factor for a linear load? When the load is linear the current and voltage are still sinusoidal.

6. Jul 12, 2010 #5
    thanks for the responses, but the last one lost me. im very ammature when it comes to this stuff.

Its actually a multiple choice question with the answers being...
    a)15kw
    b)apparent power
    c)2w
    d)3000w
    e)11000va

my guess is apparent power. and i think (a) is there to trick you, as the above calculation comes to 15kva

what do you think?

thanks again

7. Jul 12, 2010 #6
    Sorry to throw you in the wrong direction. 15kw is correct.

8. Jul 12, 2010 #7

Zryn

Gold Member

If you can remember trigonometry, that is the reasoning behind maths that applies here, as per the 'power triangle' (attached).

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook