• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

KVL / KCL (Circuit Analysis)

• Engineering
  • Thread starter carlodelmundo
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Basically, find Vab

[PLAIN]http://carlodelmundo.com/hw/circuit.png [Broken]

Is this correct -- note: please tell me that my methodology is sound; DO NOT GIVE ME A NUMERICAL ANSWER.

The problem asks for VAB. What's weird to me is that there is a potential across two terminals? (The weird part is: the terminals are connected to another voltage source!)

I used KVL... and I'm fairly accurate that my calculation is correct. However, I am confused with finding the actual VAB. Can I simply apply Ohm's law, and "lump" all of the resistors into one resistor (composition?) Would VAB be equivalent to the sum of all the voltages (taking polarities into account)?

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Zryn
Gold Member
Your current calculations look good, but I think Vab is wrong. Keep in mind Vab = Va - Vb i.e. the voltage between two different points. As you have done in the first part of your current equations, all the voltage 'gains' must equal all of the voltage 'drops' (Kirchoffs Voltage Law) in the loop, but Vab doesn't include all of the resistances in the loop.

The terminals can be disregarded also, since they merely represent a connection point, but with or without them the circuit is the same.

Check out this redrawn circuit.

Attachments

I see. Based on your chart, I may have gained some insight. Let me clarify-- so we're not supposed to use all of the resistances in the circuit?

Is it correct to assume that to calculate Vab, I may simply just find the potential difference between Va and Vb?

e.g.: according your chart, Vab = vr3 + V4v = 3(i) + 4 = 3(16/6) + 4 = 12V? If this is true, can I solve for the reverse and negate the answer? (the other resistors and other voltage source)

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
hi carlodelmundo! :wink:

Zryn :smile: is offline, so I'll confirm that 12 V is correct …

you calculated it via the 4 V, but if you'd gone the other way, that will give the same result …

try it and see (you've probably already done so)! :smile:

the whole point of KVL is that the potential differences (for want of a better phrase) all add to zero around a loop …

when you're asked for the potential between two points, it's exactly the same as the sum of the voltages you'd use in KVL itself :wink:

Thanks! this makes a lot of sense now!