Find x(t) with Kx Force and Mass m | KxForce

In summary: And thank you for the advice, I will try that approach. In summary, a particle of mass m subject to a constant force F(x)=kx with initial position x0 and zero initial speed can be solved for by setting acceleration as v(dv/dx) and integrating with initial conditions at t=0 to find x as a function of t.
Ryan95

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m is subject to force F(x)=kx with K>0. The initial starting position is x0 and the initial speed is zero. Find x(t).

Homework Equations

F(x)=kx
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I am totally lost on this. I've written acceleration as v(dv/dx) which gave me mv(dv/dx)=Kx and then tried separating variables to integrate, but once I do that, I'm totally lost as I end up with m(v2/2)=K(x2/2).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ryan95 said:
Honestly, I am totally lost on this. I've written acceleration as v(dv/dt) which gave me mv(dv/dx)=Kx and then tried separating variables to integrate, but once I do that, I'm totally lost as I end up with m(v2/2)=K(x2/2).

i wonder how one can write acceleration as v..dv/dt as we know it as rate of change of velocity with time.. may be a typo.
now dv/dt can be expressed as d/dxof v multiplied by dx/dt .

i think you should proceed with the analysis as per the rule of integration and have initial conditions at t=0 and try to find x as a function of t. as one normally does with constant forces.

drvrm said:
i wonder how one can write acceleration as v..dv/dt as we know it as rate of change of velocity with time.. may be a typo.
now dv/dt can be expressed as d/dxof v multiplied by dx/dt .

i think you should proceed with the analysis as per the rule of integration and have initial conditions at t=0 and try to find x as a function of t. as one normally does with constant forces.

Oh, thank you, yes that was a typo. I've edited the post.

1. What is x(t)?

x(t) is the displacement of an object at time t.

2. How is x(t) related to Kx force and mass m?

x(t) is directly proportional to the Kx force and inversely proportional to the mass m. This means that as the Kx force increases, the displacement x(t) also increases, while increasing the mass m decreases the displacement x(t).

3. Can x(t) be negative?

Yes, x(t) can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of the Kx force.

4. How can I calculate x(t) with Kx force and mass m?

You can use the equation x(t) = (Kx force/mass m) * t^2, where t is the time in seconds.

5. Is x(t) affected by other forces or factors?

Yes, x(t) can also be affected by other forces such as friction and air resistance, as well as external factors like the object's initial velocity and angle of motion.