1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

L.a. proof

1. Jul 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    prove that dimV=dimU[tex]\bot[/tex]+dimU

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've done this on paper, and set V=nullT+rangeT where T maps a vector from
    V to U. Is it safe to assume that nullT and U[tex]\bot[/tex] are the
    same? Reasoning is that <T(wi), T(uj)>=0 with wi in nullT and uj in U. Since T(wi)=0,
    wi gets mapped to 0 in U, and given that the dot product=0, wi is orthogonal to uj. Also consider mapping
    from say the xy plane to x. The y component is not in x, and it is at a right angle to all vectors in the
    range x itself, so it is orthogonal to x. Same for mapping from x y z to x y. All z components are
    orthogonal to all x and y components. This isn't the actual proof btw. If I'm wrong here, then I'll try a different
    approach.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What T d you want to use?

I think better is this: select a basis [itex]\left{ u_1, u_2, \cdot\cdot\cdot, \u_n\right}[/itex] for U. Let [itex]\left{v_1, v_2, \cdot\cdot\cdot, \v_n\right}[/itex] be a basis for [itex]U^\perp[/itex]. Now show that the union of the two sets is a basis for V.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  4. Jul 5, 2009 #3
    That's a much better approach! T maps v in V from V to U. dimV=n, dimU=m
    m<n (in this case). v=a1v1+...+anvn. Tv=a1v1+...+amvm. Just wondering whether
    or not nullT=U[tex]\bot[/tex]. I can't prove anything without knowing what
    I'm talking about. Good work, Halls!

5. Jul 5, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's fine as far as it goes. Sure null(T) is U^perp as you've defined it. But Halls also said you should prove the span of U and U^perp is V. You didn't do that. Do you see why that's necessary?

6. Jul 6, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I can't answer your question because you still haven't said what T is! All you have said is that "T maps v in V from V to U". There are many linear transformations that do that. What is T?

7. Jul 6, 2009 #6
    basis for V is {v1....vn} dimV=n dimU=m m<=n.T is the transformation that takes v (v=a1v1+...+anvn) and sends it to U so Tv=a1v1+...+amvm.

8. Jul 7, 2009 #7
    Ok let dimV=n, dim U=m m<=n, Let V=nullT+rangeT, in that dimV=dimnullT+dimrangeT. Let T be the transformation that takes v in V and maps it to U so that Tv=a1v1+..+amvm=a1u1+...+amum. Now split the basis for V into {w1...wk} for nullT and {u1...um} for rangeT=U. Since wi is in nullT, T(wi)=0, which shows that wi is orthogonal to uj (note: 1<=j<=m, 1<=i<=k). Since wi is orthogonal to uj, and wi is in nullT, nullT=Uperp and since dimV=dimnullT+dimrangeT, dimnullT=dimUperp. And since rangeT=U, dimrangeT=dimU. Therefore dimV=dimUperp+dimU.

I figured that since we already know that dimV=dimnullT+dimrangeT (since we know that it is true with any transformation from
    any space to any other space: dim spaceX=dimnullT+dimrangeT for any
    T mapping from X--->Y and Y is always the rangeT) we can find a way to show that nullT=Uperp. Now that we have shown that nullT=Uperp, its obvious that
    their dimensions equate. And since rangeT=U, their dimensions equate. Therefore, dimV=dimnullT+dimrangeT=dimUperp+dimU

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook