Which L Bar Orientation Offers Maximum Downward Force Strength?

In summary, the conversation discusses the most effective orientation for a 20 inch L bar with 1" sides buried in a concrete wall to withstand downward force. The options considered are a V orientation with the tip pointing down, a V orientation with the tip pointing up, and an 'L' orientation with one side horizontal and the other vertical. The group concludes that the best option is likely the 'L' position, as it would distribute the load evenly on both sides. However, there is also a consideration that the V position with the tip pointing down would also be effective as both sides would be under tension. The V position with the tip pointing up is considered to be the weakest as both sides would be under compression. A calculation may be
zardiw
Hi All.

Given a 20 inch L bar with 1" sides.

If 6 inches of this bar is buried in a concrete wall horizontally, which orientation would render the most downward force strength?

1. A V orientation with the tip of the V pointing down.

2. A V orientation with the tip of the V pointing up.

3. An 'L' orientation with one side horizontal and the other vertical.

My best guess is a V orientation with the tip of the V pointing down, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

Thanks for answering

z.

Engineering news on Phys.org
zardiw said:
My best guess is a V orientation with the tip of the V pointing down, but I'm not 100% sure of that.
My guess is the "L" position since vertical " l " part will be parallel to the load straight down...

jerromyjon said:
My guess is the "L" position since vertical " l " part will be parallel to the load straight down...
Thank you. I also considered L position, but then only one side of the angle iron would be under tension on a load...while the other would tend to just bend easily.

So was thinking the V position would put both sides under tension on a load...What do you think?

Anybody else?...I guess it would take some kind of calculation to be sure though...but finding a formula for that might be difficult..

I do feel that the V position with the tip up would be the weakest...since the sides would then be under compression and tend to bend easily...just a thought.

1. What is an L bar in structural engineering?

An L bar, also known as an angle bar, is a type of structural steel member that is shaped like an L. It is commonly used in construction to provide support and stability to structures.

2. What are the different types of L bar structural connections?

The most common types of L bar structural connections are bolted and welded. Bolted connections use bolts to secure the L bar to other structural members, while welded connections use heat and pressure to fuse the L bar to other members.

3. How is the strength of an L bar determined?

The strength of an L bar is determined by its dimensions, material composition, and the type of connection used. The size and thickness of the L bar will affect its load-bearing capacity, and the material used will determine its resistance to corrosion and other environmental factors.

4. What are the advantages of using L bar in structural design?

L bars offer several advantages in structural design, including their high strength-to-weight ratio, versatility in connecting different members, and ease of fabrication. They are also cost-effective and readily available, making them a popular choice for many construction projects.

5. Can L bar be used for both compression and tension forces?

Yes, L bars can be used for both compression and tension forces. However, the design and size of the L bar may need to be adjusted depending on the type of force it will be subjected to. For example, an L bar used for tension forces may need to be thicker and have more reinforcement compared to one used for compression forces.