Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

L Bar Structural Question

1. Mar 27, 2016 #1
    Hi All.

Given a 20 inch L bar with 1" sides.

If 6 inches of this bar is buried in a concrete wall horizontally, which orientation would render the most downward force strength?

1. A V orientation with the tip of the V pointing down.

2. A V orientation with the tip of the V pointing up.

3. An 'L' orientation with one side horizontal and the other vertical.

My best guess is a V orientation with the tip of the V pointing down, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

Thanks for answering

z.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2016 #2
    My guess is the "L" position since vertical " l " part will be parallel to the load straight down...

4. Mar 27, 2016 #3
    Thank you. I also considered L position, but then only one side of the angle iron would be under tension on a load.......while the other would tend to just bend easily.

So was thinking the V position would put both sides under tension on a load........What do you think?

Anybody else?.........I guess it would take some kind of calculation to be sure though...but finding a formula for that might be difficult..

I do feel that the V position with the tip up would be the weakest.......since the sides would then be under compression and tend to bend easily......just a thought.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted