LED Lights for Desk: College Student's Guide to Eye Strain Relief

In summary: I don't need a lot of light to do my work, and I don't like feeling like I'm working in the dark. I also have an Ott-Lite on my nightstand, so I always have some light available when I need it.Do you use any other lamp besides your Ott-Lite?I don't think so.
Nothing000
Hello. Does anyone here use and LED light for their desk? I am a college student and spend a lot of time at my desk reading. I get pretty bad eye strain from reading so much. I am thinking about getting one of these LED lamps.

Also, does anyone use any other type of lamp that is better than traditional lamp light?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Generally, a well-lit room is easier on your eyes than is a brightly-lit desk in an otherwise dark room.

- Warren

You might also consider using reading glasses if you don't already. Back in college, my eyes started to lose distance accomodation from all the close reading that I was doing. Fortunately, I went to an optometrist who turned me on to reading glasses, and my far vision went back to normal. Right now I just use +2.0 diopter reading glasses from the supermarket pharmacy, but for your first pair of reading glasses, you should probably see an optometrist. Your school's student health insurance may even pick up a lot of the tab.

berkeman said:
...you should probably see an optometrist. Your school's student health insurance may even pick up a lot of the tab.

Unfortunately I do not have school health insurance. Should I check into the health insurance my school offers? Is it usually a better deal than regular health insurance?

At my undergrad school (UC Davis in California in the late 1970s), part of my tuition went to my student health insurance premium. I don't remember if it was optional or not, though. Definitely check out the student health insurance that is available -- it's probably a pretty good deal compared to private health insurance. The bigger the group, generally the better the deal that you get. And a university population (or multiple universities in the case of the UCs) is a pretty big base for an insurance group. Plus, the demographics of the university population make them a lower risk (generally) for health insurance premiums.

However, even if you decide not to pick up health insurance, getting reading glasses is not very expensive. Depending on where you are, you should be able to walk into a LensCrafters or some place similar, and spend $100-$200 for the exam plus basic glasses. (That's just a guess on price, but I think I'm close.)

I have an Ott-Lite at my desk. It provides really clear, white light, but no heat (i.e., you can't feel it in the air). Pretty cool stuff.

Hey durt, what wattage of Ott-Lite do you have?
Do you think they are worth the price?
How much did you buy yours for?
Does anyone else own an Ott-Lite?

The one I have is http://www.sightconnection.com/trucoldeslam.html" . It takes an 18-watt bulb. I didn't buy it, so I can't say how much I bought it for :tongue: . Despite that I'd still say its worth the price ($115 according to that link, though you could probably find it cheaper) because I spend a lot of my time under it, and I haven't had to replace the bulb in the four or five years I've had it, so it's not a hassle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it give you enough light for that to be the only lamp you have on your desk?

For me, yes.

1. What are LED lights for desk and how do they work?

LED lights for desk are a type of lighting that uses light-emitting diodes (LEDs) as a source of illumination. These lights work by converting electrical energy into light through the use of semiconducting materials. They are designed to emit a specific color of light and are energy-efficient, long-lasting, and produce less heat compared to traditional incandescent or fluorescent lights.

2. How can LED lights for desk help with eye strain relief for college students?

LED lights for desk can help with eye strain relief for college students because they produce a light that is closer to natural daylight, which is less harsh on the eyes. This can reduce eye fatigue and strain, especially for those who spend long hours studying or working on the computer. LED lights also have a higher color rendering index (CRI), which means they can display colors more accurately, making it easier for students to read and study without straining their eyes.

3. Are there any health benefits to using LED lights for desk?

Yes, there are several health benefits to using LED lights for desk. As mentioned before, they emit a light that is closer to natural daylight, which can improve mood and productivity. LED lights also do not contain mercury or emit UV rays, making them safer for the environment and our health. Additionally, they are more energy-efficient, which can save on electricity costs in the long run.

4. What factors should I consider when choosing LED lights for my desk?

When choosing LED lights for your desk, there are a few factors to consider. First, make sure to choose lights with a color temperature of 5000K or higher, as this is closer to natural daylight. Also, look for lights with a high CRI, ideally above 90, for accurate color rendering. Additionally, consider the size and brightness of the light, as well as any additional features like dimming or adjustable color temperature.

5. Can LED lights for desk be harmful to the eyes?

No, LED lights for desk are not harmful to the eyes. In fact, they are often recommended as a better alternative to traditional incandescent or fluorescent lights, which can emit harsher light and cause eye strain. However, it is important to choose high-quality LED lights and avoid staring directly at the light for extended periods, as with any source of light.