What is the weight of a 1780 L(kg) British sailboat in US pounds?

• Thread starter Rob C
  • Start date
In summary, the conversion rate between kilograms and pounds is 1 kg = 2.20462 lbs. To convert kilograms to pounds, you simply multiply the number of kilograms by 2.20462, and to convert pounds to kilograms, you divide the number of pounds by 2.20462. It is necessary to convert between these units when dealing with measurements from different systems, and the conversion rate is constant for all objects and substances. However, the weight in pounds may vary depending on the density of the object or substance.
Rob C
I recently acquired a British built sailboat and the displacement of the boat is given as 1780 l(kg) which I believe to be liter(kilogram). I simply want to know the actual weight of the boat in US pounds. Can someone here help?

Physics news on Phys.org

Sure, I can help with the conversion. 1780 L(kg) stands for 1780 liters (kg). Liters (L) is a unit of volume and kilograms (kg) is a unit of mass. In order to convert this to pounds, we need to use the density of water, which is 1 kg/L. This means that 1 liter of water weighs 1 kilogram. Therefore, 1780 liters of water would weigh 1780 kilograms.

To convert kilograms to pounds, we can use the conversion factor of 1 kg = 2.20462 pounds. So, 1780 kilograms would be equal to 3,922.9 pounds. This would be the approximate weight of your sailboat in US pounds.

I hope this helps and congratulations on your new sailboat!

1. What is the conversion rate between kilograms and pounds?

The conversion rate between kilograms and pounds is 1 kg = 2.20462 lbs. This means that for every 1 kilogram, there are 2.20462 pounds.

2. How do I convert kilograms to pounds?

To convert kilograms to pounds, simply multiply the number of kilograms by 2.20462. For example, if you have 5 kilograms, the conversion would be 5 x 2.20462 = 11.0231 pounds.

3. How do I convert pounds to kilograms?

To convert pounds to kilograms, simply divide the number of pounds by 2.20462. For example, if you have 10 pounds, the conversion would be 10 / 2.20462 = 4.53592 kilograms.

4. Why do I need to convert between kilograms and pounds?

Kilograms and pounds are two different units of measurement for weight. Converting between them is necessary when dealing with measurements from different systems, such as metric and imperial. It is also helpful for understanding and comparing weight measurements in different contexts.

5. Is there a difference in the conversion rate for different objects or substances?

No, the conversion rate between kilograms and pounds is constant for all objects and substances. However, the weight of an object or substance may vary depending on its density, so the actual weight in pounds may be different even if the conversion rate remains the same.