Exploring the Proportionality of Luminosity & Mass in Stars

In summary, the relationship between luminosity and mass in stars is not always consistent and may vary depending on the mass range of the star, as seen in the Mass-Luminosity Relation.
Johnboy

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

L = M^3.5

The Attempt at a Solution

Am I right in saying that this is the correct proportionality for luminosity and mass in a star?

If it is, i am confused. In an example I have it states that when mass is doubled the luminosity isincreased by a factor of 11 (i.e. 2^3.5). In a question i have the star is 300000 times more luminous than the sun but only 24 times the mass. If I put 24 into this equation, I get 67723, considerably less than 300,000. In another question, the star is 20 times as massive and 10000 times as luminous, this doesn't add up either.

Can someone please tell me where I am going wrong here as this is driving me insane!

Physics news on Phys.org
Johnboy said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

L = M^3.5

The Attempt at a Solution

Am I right in saying that this is the correct proportionality for luminosity and mass in a star?

If it is, i am confused. In an example I have it states that when mass is doubled the luminosity isincreased by a factor of 11 (i.e. 2^3.5). In a question i have the star is 300000 times more luminous than the sun but only 24 times the mass. If I put 24 into this equation, I get 67723, considerably less than 300,000. In another question, the star is 20 times as massive and 10000 times as luminous, this doesn't add up either.

Can someone please tell me where I am going wrong here as this is driving me insane!
The relationship varies slightly depending upon the mass range of the star.

See, for example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass–luminosity_relation

Thank you for directing me to that page, where i noticed that the relationship does not apply with red giants.

What is the relationship between luminosity and mass in stars?

The relationship between luminosity and mass in stars is known as the mass-luminosity relationship. It states that the luminosity of a star is directly proportional to its mass, meaning that as the mass of a star increases, so does its luminosity.

Why is it important to explore the proportionality of luminosity and mass in stars?

Studying the mass-luminosity relationship allows scientists to better understand the properties and behavior of stars. It also helps in classifying and categorizing different types of stars based on their mass and luminosity.

How is the proportionality of luminosity and mass in stars determined?

The proportionality of luminosity and mass in stars is determined through observations and calculations. Scientists use various techniques, such as spectroscopy and photometry, to measure the luminosity and mass of stars and then analyze the data to determine the relationship between the two.

Does the mass-luminosity relationship hold true for all types of stars?

While the mass-luminosity relationship is a general rule that applies to most stars, there are some exceptions. For example, stars that have reached the end of their life cycle or those that have unusual compositions may not follow this relationship.

What are the implications of the mass-luminosity relationship for our understanding of the universe?

Studying the mass-luminosity relationship in stars can help us understand how stars form and evolve, as well as how galaxies and the universe as a whole are structured. It also provides insights into the processes that govern the behavior of celestial objects and the laws of physics that govern our universe.