1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

L-normed vector space

1. Feb 8, 2006 #1
    Hi

I'm given the following assignment which deals with to looks like an L-normed vectorspace:

Prove that,

[tex]|f(y_1) - f(y_2)| \leq || y_1 - y_2||[/tex]

To prove this do I approach the above as a triangle inequality or as a cauchy-swartz inequality?

Best Regards,

Fred

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2006 #2

benorin

Homework Helper

What do you know about f ? How is the norm defined?

4. Feb 8, 2006 #3
    Hello and thank You for Your reply,

f is defined as follows:

[tex]f: \mathbb{R}^n \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/tex] and

[tex]y1, y2 \in \mathbb{R}^n[/tex]

Best Regards,

Fred

5. Feb 8, 2006 #4

benorin

Homework Helper

More must be given, (or I am just that tired) since

does not, in general (under those conditions), hold for arbitrary f:R^n->R, like, say, put [tex]f(y)=2 ||y||[/tex] with y2=0 and y1=y gives

[tex]|f(y) - f(0)| = 2||y|| \not\leq || y - 0||[/tex]

6. Feb 8, 2006 #5
    Hello again,

According to my textbook the first step is to show that

[tex] f(y_2) \leq || y_1 - y_2|| + f(y_1)[/tex]

The is a sub-problem of a problem which deals distance from a point to a set.

f is defined as the distance from a point in [tex] \mathbb{R}^n [/tex] to a subset S of [tex]\mathbb{R}^n[/tex]

and finally I'm suppose to conclude that f is Uniform continuites on [tex]
    \mathbb{R}^n[/tex]

Any idears?

Best Regards,

Fred

7. Feb 8, 2006 #6

benorin

Homework Helper

Since f is defined as the distance from a point in [tex] \mathbb{R}^n [/tex] to a subset S of [tex]\mathbb{R}^n[/tex], we should have

[tex]f_S(y)=\mbox{inf}\left\{ \|x-y\| : x\in S\right\}[/tex] for [tex]y\in\mathbb{R}^n[/tex]

I put a subscript of S on f since f depends on S, but consider S fixed and supress the subscript from here on.

[tex] f(y_2) \leq || y_1 - y_2|| + f(y_1)[/tex] is the statement that

[tex] \mbox{inf}\left\{ \|x-y_2\| : x\in S\right\} \leq \| y_1 - y_2\| + \mbox{inf}\left\{ \|x-y_1\| : x\in S\right\}[/tex],

how could you prove that?

8. Feb 8, 2006 #7

By showing that normed distance from x to y1 and from x to y2 are equal? Cause they belong to the same subset?

Best Regards
    Fred

Last edited: Feb 8, 2006
  9. Feb 8, 2006 #8

benorin

Homework Helper

By the triangle inequality, for all [tex]x,y_1,y_2\in\mathbb{R}^n[/tex], we have

[tex]\|x-y_2\| \leq \| y_1 - y_2\| +\|x-y_1\|[/tex],

and since [tex]x\in S\mbox{ and }S\subset\mathbb{R}^n[/tex], we may restrict x to be in S and inf over x in S to obtain

[tex] \mbox{inf}\left\{ \|x-y_2\| : x\in S\right\} \leq \mbox{inf}\left\{\| y_1 - y_2\| + \|x-y_1\| : x\in S\right\} = \| y_1 - y_2\| + \mbox{inf}\left\{ \|x-y_1\| : x\in S\right\}[/tex]

10. Feb 8, 2006 #9
    Hello again and thank You for Your answer,

And this shows, that

is true?

Best Regards

Fred

11. Feb 8, 2006 #10

benorin

Homework Helper

Swap y1 and y2, see what you get.

12. Feb 8, 2006 #11
    Hello again,

then

since

[tex] \mbox{inf}\left\{ \|x-y_2\| : x\in S\right\} - \| y_1 - y_2\| \leq \mbox{inf}\left\{\| y_1 - y_2\| + \|x-y_1\| : x\in S\right\} [/tex] ?

Best Regards

Fred

13. Feb 8, 2006 #12

benorin

Homework Helper

Of this

[tex] \mbox{inf}\left\{ \|x-y_2\| : x\in S\right\} \leq \mbox{inf}\left\{\| y_1 - y_2\| + \|x-y_1\| : x\in S\right\} = \| y_1 - y_2\| + \mbox{inf}\left\{ \|x-y_1\| : x\in S\right\}[/tex]

you need only first and last bits (including the <= sign), namely

[tex] \mbox{inf}\left\{ \|x-y_2\| : x\in S\right\} \leq \| y_1 - y_2\| + \mbox{inf}\left\{ \|x-y_1\| : x\in S\right\}[/tex]

in this, swap y1 and y2, to get

[tex] \mbox{inf}\left\{ \|x-y_1\| : x\in S\right\} \leq \| y_2 - y_1\| + \mbox{inf}\left\{ \|x-y_2\| : x\in S\right\}[/tex]

and since [tex] \| y_2 - y_1\| = \| y_1 - y_2\| ,[/tex] we have this pair of inequalities

[tex]\boxed{\begin{array}{cc} \mbox{inf}\left\{ \|x-y_2\| : x\in S\right\} \leq \| y_1 - y_2\| + \mbox{inf}\left\{ \|x-y_1\| : x\in S\right\} \\ \mbox{inf}\left\{ \|x-y_1\| : x\in S\right\} \leq \| y_1 - y_2\| + \mbox{inf}\left\{ \|x-y_2\| : x\in S\right\} \end{array} } [/tex]

thinking of theses as being of the form

[tex]A\leq k+B[/tex]
    [tex]B\leq k+A[/tex]

we then have

[tex]A-B\leq k[/tex] and
    [tex]B-A\leq k[/tex]

thus [tex]|B-A| \leq k[/tex] i.e. [tex]|f(y_1) - f(y_2)| \leq || y_1 - y_2||[/tex]

14. Feb 8, 2006 #13
    Hello again, and thank You for Your answers,

I need to conclude that the function f is is uniformly continius on [tex]\mathbb{R}^n[/tex].

In order to show this by proving that definition of uniformly continious functions applies to my specific f function?

Best Regards,

Fred

15. Feb 8, 2006 #14

benorin

Homework Helper

What is the definition of a uniformly continuous function?

16. Feb 8, 2006 #15
    Definition:uniformly continuous function

S is a subset of [tex]\mathbb{R}^n[/tex] and [tex]f: S \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/tex] be a real valued function. The function f is said to be uniformly continuous, if there for every epsilon > 0, exists a delta > 0 such that,

|f(x) - f(y) | < epsilon

for all x,y \in S, which statisfies that ||x - y|| < delta

Do I then apply this definition to my given f(x) ? and use it to show how f(x) = 0, if x belongs to Y ?

Best Regards
    Fred

17. Feb 8, 2006 #16

benorin

Homework Helper

Yes, if you wish to prove f is a uniformly continuous function do just that: the first bit is done, so just choose delta = epsilon and it is done.

And do U mean x belongs to S? Indeed it is a simple matter that f(x)=0 for every x in S, since (for fixed x) the shortest distance between x and y when y is allowed to be x is 0.

18. Feb 8, 2006 #17
    regarding uniform continuity

then according to the definition of uniformly continious functions then
    [tex]|x - y| = |x| - |y|[/tex]

From here I'm a bit unsure

Do I do the following y = x + [tex]\delta[/tex] then [tex]x \geq 0 [/tex]

[tex]|x - (x+ \delta)| = \delta[/tex]

then [tex]|x - (x+ \delta)| < \epsilon[/tex]

futermore since [tex]\delta > 0[/tex] according to the definition:

[tex]\delta < \epsilon[/tex]

therefore f is uniformly continious.

Am I on the right path here?

Best Regards
    Fred

19. Feb 8, 2006 #18

benorin

Homework Helper

Recall that we just proved that

[tex] |f(x) - f(y) | \leq \| x-y\| [/tex] for all [tex]x,y\in\mathbb{R}^n[/tex]

we now wish to show that

[tex]\mbox{ For every } \epsilon >0, \mbox{ there exists a } \delta >0\mbox{ such that }\| x-y\| < \delta \Rightarrow |f(x)-f(y)| <\epsilon [/tex]

So fix [tex]\epsilon >0[/tex]. Choose [tex] \delta = \epsilon [/tex] so that

[tex]\| x-y\| < \delta \Rightarrow |f(x)-f(y)| \leq \| x-y\| < \delta =\epsilon [/tex]

where we have used that bit of which I wrote "Recall that we just proved ..." to get the [tex] |f(x)-f(y)| \leq \| x-y\| [/tex] part of the above line.

--Ben

20. Feb 8, 2006 #19
    Thank You again,

If have two small final followup questions:

(a) If S is closed set, and if x \notin S, then f(x) > 0

(b) if Y is closed, then

X = {x \in R^n | f(x) = 0}

I know in (a) that since x is not in S, then the metric distance between x,y is larger than zero, but does that explain f(x) > 0??

Any hints on how to solve (b) ?

Best Regards

Fred

21. Feb 8, 2006 #20

benorin

Homework Helper

"I know in (a) that since x is not in S, then the metric distance between x,y is larger than zero, but does that explain f(x) > 0??"

How do you know this is so? If had, say, S=(0,1) (the segment of the real line strictly between 0 and 1) what than is f(0) ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?