I've never seen it written in finite form like that, but I would expect that w to represent the work done on the system.
Hamilton's Principle can be written as
int(variation of (T*) + variation(W))dt = 0
where that W is the work of the several forces acting on the system. This is the way that nonconservative forces are included into the formulation of the system equations of motion.
We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving