Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

L1 Lagrangian Point.

1. Jan 23, 2010 #1
    Does anyone know how long SOHO and ACE took to get to the L1 lagrangian point. It is in average 1.496 million km away, Im wondering how fast a human space flight servicing mission would take. Also if it is possible to send it for a long mission seeing that the radiation dosage increases and temperature of space craft increases too.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2010 #2
    Not sure how long it took, but I do know that none of the recent spacecraft are designed to be human serviceable and if they break then they will be retired. Having a space craft that uses or requires human serviceablity (i.e. Hubble) turned into something of a nightmare, which most people would rather avoid. It turns out that for the same cost of making something human serviceable you can build several non-serviceable spacecraft.

4. Jan 24, 2010 #3

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They are cheaper to replace than service. We can barely make it to the moon with manned craft.

5. Jan 24, 2010 #4
    Exactly what I thought. In essence sending a unmanned space craft will certainly be cheaper than a servicing mission, but does this mean we should never send Astronauts to space. The ACE is due for retirement on 2024. Could it ever be viable to go to the L1 point assuming the cost of launching into orbit is significantly reduced. I'd like to think that astronauts can do a more efficient job than just the robotics in an unmanned space craft.

Could anyone tell me what the space shuttle radiation shielding is? And how much dosage of radiation per sec or day do astronauts receive in orbit?

6. Jan 25, 2010 #5
  7. Jan 29, 2010 #6
    Thanks very much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook