Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: L2 - norm

1. Mar 6, 2010 #1
    Could someone please explain to me in fairly basic terms what the L2-norm is and what it does please. More specifically let me know what the following equation does, if possible...

E(N) = 2*pi [tex]\int[/tex] (U(N) - Uexact)2 r dr

Where E is the error for a specific N. Ultimately I have values for an approximation and exact values and want to do some sort of error analysis.

I haven't found any good resources for learning about this on the internet. Also if someone could recommend a good book that would be great.

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2010 #2
    What is the difference between this equation and the sum of the errors squared?

4. Mar 7, 2010 #3

hotvette

Homework Helper

The L2 norm is the length of a vector. Think Pythagorean theorem.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/L2-Norm.html

5. Mar 11, 2010 #4
    Hi, thanks for your reply. I am in need of something that will give me a "global" error of an solution that I have. I have a plot of the approximation against the exact value and I am guessing I need to calculate the area between the 2 curves (hence the equation in the 1st post?). Can the L2 norm be applied here?

Your responses are much appreciated.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook