1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LA: basis for a subspace

1. Oct 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find a basis for the subspace S of R^4 consisting of all vectors of the form

(a+b, a-b+2c, b, c)^T, where a,b,c are real numbers. What is the dimension of S?

2. Relevant equations

vectors v1,...,vn from a basis for a vector space iff

i) v1,...,vn are linearly independent
    ii) v1,...,vn span V

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm actually not sure how I'd start this problem as most of the basis problems I've been doing have been comparing 2-3 vectors against each other not just one. Would I have to find a vector of scalars in R^4 and find S is both linearly independent and spans R^4 against it? any help is greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2008 #2

statdad

Homework Helper

Try writing the given vector (the one in your post) as a sum of several, with [tex] a, b, c [/tex] as the coefficients of the linear combination. Are the vectors you find linearly independent?

4. Oct 5, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In particular, the zero vector, here (0,0,0,0)T, is in every subspace. For what values of a, b, c is (a+b, a-b+2c, b, c)T equal to the vector?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?