Understanding Lagrangian: Explaining \frac{\delta S}{\delta \varphi _i}=0

• Thread starter georg gill
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lagrangian
In summary, the conversation is about trying to prove the equation pV=nRT and the use of Lagrangian in doing so. The question is raised about the meaning of the symbol \varphi and its role in the equation. The response explains that it is a generalized configuration variable used in the principle of least action. The conversation suggests seeking help on a classical mechanics forum for further clarification.
georg gill
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagrangian#Explanation

I am trying to prove pV=nRT and in order to do so one need to get lagrangian (not the math formula it seems)

Here is an explanation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagrangian#Explanation

why is

[tex]\frac{\delta S}{\delta \varphi _i}=0 [/tex]?

S is a point given in time and space but I guess my problem is what is
[tex] \varphi [/tex]

I guess that it is the value of the field at that point in spacetime as they write does not help me much to get what it is

Physics news on Phys.org
georg gill said:
I am trying to prove pV=nRT [...]
You didn't say what these symbols mean.

why is

[tex]\frac{\delta S}{\delta \varphi _i}=0 [/tex]?

S is a point given in time and space
No. S is the action. Read a bit further on that Wiki page. It says
[tex]
\mathcal{S} [\varphi_i] = \int{\mathcal{L} [\varphi_i (x)]\, \mathrm{d}^4x}
[/tex]
Lagrangian/Hamiltonian mechanics start from a principle of least action, meaning
that the total action is assumed not to vary under small variations of the generalized coordinates (i.e., the [itex]\varphi_i[/itex] in this case) and the equations of motion are
then derived from this principle.

but I guess my problem is what is [itex]\varphi[/itex]
It's a generalized configuration variable.

BTW, this question probably belongs over on the classical mechanics forum. It sounds like you really need a textbook, and someone over there could probably suggest one.

1. What is Lagrangian in physics?

Lagrangian is a mathematical function used in classical mechanics to describe the dynamics of a system. It is defined as the difference between the kinetic and potential energy of a system, and it helps to determine the equations of motion for a given system.

2. What does the equation \frac{\delta S}{\delta \varphi _i}=0 mean?

This equation, also known as the Euler-Lagrange equation, is used to find the stationary points (or extrema) of the action functional, S, in a Lagrangian system. It is used to determine the equations of motion for a system by setting the variation of the action with respect to the system's coordinates, \varphi_i, equal to zero.

3. How does Lagrangian differ from other equations used in physics?

Lagrangian is different from other equations used in physics, such as Newton's laws of motion, because it is a more general and elegant approach to describing the dynamics of a system. It takes into account the entire history of a system, rather than just its current state, and it allows for the use of generalized coordinates and constraints.

4. What is the significance of the Lagrangian in physics?

The Lagrangian has great significance in physics as it provides a powerful tool for analyzing and understanding the behavior of physical systems. It allows for the derivation of the equations of motion in a more systematic and concise manner, and it is used to describe a wide range of phenomena, from simple mechanical systems to complex quantum field theories.

5. How is Lagrangian used in practical applications?

Lagrangian is used extensively in many practical applications, such as in the study of celestial mechanics, fluid dynamics, and particle physics. It is also used in engineering and control systems to model and analyze the behavior of physical systems. Additionally, it has been applied in various areas of theoretical physics, including general relativity and quantum mechanics.