1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Archived Lab 1: Meaurement

1. Jan 30, 2015 #1
    I asked Mr. Randall about sig figs for this lab, especially on instruments like the vernier caliper and micrometer. This was his answer:

"For lengths smaller than 1 cm, you should get at least 2 sigs: 0.??. (To the 100th place, 0.01.)

Between 1 cm and 9.99 cm, you should get 3: ?.??

The Vernier scale digit takes the place of your “uncertain” digit. I’ve read articles that suggest if the Vernier scale line manages to fall between marks, readers are allowed to guess the 1000th digit, but I’ve never noticed that situation on a scale so small. I’m not expecting any values below the 0.01 place.

But the micrometer caliper scale can give you guessing capability at the 0.001 mm level, so 1.23 cm on a Vernier scale might read as 12.345 mm on the micrometer caliper."

I hope this helps anyone struggling as I was!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF!

Thanks for the tip.

4. Feb 1, 2015 #3
    Thanks for posting this ... it's something I might add to the next lab manual revision. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted