1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lab help Ballistic pendulum

1. May 2, 2004 #1
    A steel marble is shot out of a launcher (straight) in a "catcher" on a ballistic pendulum. The pendulum then swings up into its max height ans stops. At that point...the height for the gPE is .163 m. The mass of the marble is .0558g. I need to find the inital velocity of the marble. I solve (.5)(m)(v^2)=mgh to find the starting velocity for that, which is the final velocity after the perfctly inelasic collusion. But what happens is that I use the perfctly inelasic collusion formula, m1v1 + m2v2 = (m1 +m2)v' , but I always end up with two variable because I don't know m2. This is where I get stuck. I know the velocity should be some where around 3.5, but I'm not getting close. Please help me..I attached a diagram, I hope it works.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2004 #2
    Sorry for the double post...but could someone one help me ASAP. Thanks.
  4. May 2, 2004 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Can't find the diagram, but:
    What do you get if you assume the mass of the pendulum to be much less (negligible) to the mass of the steel ball?
  5. May 2, 2004 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Right, assuming you really mean: (.5)(m1 + m2)(v'^2)=mgh.
    Since the speed of the "catcher" is zero before the collision, you mean:
    m1v1 = (m1 +m2)v', where v1 is the speed of the marble.

There's no way around it: You need the mass of the "catcher" if you wish to find v1.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?