1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lab help

1. Oct 24, 2005 #1

Ok we just did a lab on measuring the inertial mass. This is going to be really hard for me to explain but i'll try. Anyways heres the problem the gravitation masses are given to us.The are 100g, 200g, 300g and 400g. We also have to use ticker tape and we ended up finding the acceleration by finding the velocity and so on. Is there a formula or something that im completely forgetting that helps us find the inertial masses. If anyone needs anymore information i'll post it but please try to help me im really confused.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2005 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Speaking for myself: I need more info to get what's going on.

First of all, what kind of a trajectory are these masses following? Are they dropping straight down in free fall? Are they sliding down an inclined plane?
  4. Oct 24, 2005 #3

We placed those weights of 100g into a cart thats 100 g. Then used dropped a standard mass with a pulley on the edge of a desk and let it fall to determine the acceleration from the ticker tape. The standard mass is 20 g
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?