1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lab Memo: Flip-Flop Analysis - 4 bit counter

1. Nov 12, 2006 #1
    Hi, I have a four-bit binary counter utilizing two 74LS76 and two 74LS74 integrated circuits. I've attached a picture.

I have to write a lab report, and this is what I have so far:

If we were to label each flip-flop from 1 to 4 (left to right) in Figure 3B, Appendix B, each successive output is halved. Assume f0 is the original clock pulse.
    o The general equation for the frequency yields: fN = f0 / 2N where N is the number of the respective flip-flop in sequence.
     The output of flip-flop #1: f0 / 2
     The output of flip-flop #2: f0 / 4
     The output of flip-flop #3: f0 / 8
     The output of flip-flop #4: f0 / 16

Disregard the Appendix refernece. Is this correct?

EDIT -- added the picture, I forgot

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

Looks okay to me, within the limitations of ripple counters. Quiz question -- what's the difference between a ripple counter and a synchronous counter. When would you not want to use a ripple counter?
  4. Nov 14, 2006 #3
    Oh, I know this. Ripple counter -- is asynchronous because its not controlled by a common clock, rather the flip flops are cascaded so they take in CP from the previous Q. Syncrhonous is a common clock.

Plus you have propogation delays with ripple counters.

f = 1 / N * t_prop
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?