Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Lab Memo: Flip-Flop Analysis - 4 bit counter

1. Nov 12, 2006 #1
    Hi, I have a four-bit binary counter utilizing two 74LS76 and two 74LS74 integrated circuits. I've attached a picture.

I have to write a lab report, and this is what I have so far:

If we were to label each flip-flop from 1 to 4 (left to right) in Figure 3B, Appendix B, each successive output is halved. Assume f0 is the original clock pulse.
    o The general equation for the frequency yields: fN = f0 / 2N where N is the number of the respective flip-flop in sequence.
     The output of flip-flop #1: f0 / 2
     The output of flip-flop #2: f0 / 4
     The output of flip-flop #3: f0 / 8
     The output of flip-flop #4: f0 / 16

Disregard the Appendix refernece. Is this correct?

EDIT -- added the picture, I forgot

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Looks okay to me, within the limitations of ripple counters. Quiz question -- what's the difference between a ripple counter and a synchronous counter. When would you not want to use a ripple counter?

4. Nov 14, 2006 #3
    Oh, I know this. Ripple counter -- is asynchronous because its not controlled by a common clock, rather the flip flops are cascaded so they take in CP from the previous Q. Syncrhonous is a common clock.

Plus you have propogation delays with ripple counters.

f = 1 / N * t_prop

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook