Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lab metal

1. Mar 11, 2006 #1

Gold Member

If this stuff is so good why not use it instead of casting ?

For small batch work, it seems ideal, i have seen other products that claim
    to be equal to this, ie one that repairs stainless steel, even shafts, there
    must be some (hype) in the claimed properties of these products ?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2006 #2

Gold Member

It would appear to be essentially the same as JB Weld, without the mixing requirement. If so, then it's not nearly as easy to work with as they'd have you believe. Patching something with JB involves a lot of effort to make sure there aren't air pockets or other gaps. I've also found that, contrary to the advertising, it's not prone to accept drilling, tapping, filing etc. without crumbling.
  4. Mar 13, 2006 #3

Science Advisor

Its not the same as JB Weld, different viscosity. Sure there's marketing hype, and the MSDS has plenty of haz warnings, and you really should check out its hardness/abrasion resistance before buying too far into the hype.

JB Weld has worked well for me, drilled and tapped before but it was an encapsulated patch so it kept the material completely in compression during those operations. Great stuff, not many other ways to patch stuff, its like duct tape that lasts longer.... :smile:
  5. Mar 13, 2006 #4

Staff: Mentor

I imagine Lab Weld could be used for supeficial repairs, but in high stress or fatigue susceptible applications, I doubt it would be satisfactory.

I can't imagine repair a pump shaft for example.

It all comes down the service environment.
  6. Mar 14, 2006 #5

Gold Member

Me too, in many applications. It's possible that I didn't mix the bad batches as well as I should have, or got too much skin oil in them while kneading. Besides the crumbling under tool use, I've had some that absolutely refused to stick to the material that I was trying to repair (and it wasn't anything exotic).
  7. Mar 15, 2006 #6
    Probably good enough for quick and dirty patching/repairs, usually temporary. Keeps you going 'til new part arrives.
    Personally I like the epoxy putty, various brands. Just cut what you need off, knead it and shape it. I've used it for holes in panels mostly. Recently used it to repair a valve and the worn end of a pump impeller. Both seem to be doing well.
    Danger: Hint, clean the surface really well. Then slightly roughen and clean again. Leave no oil, rust or emery behind.
  8. Mar 15, 2006 #7

Gold Member

Thanks for the tip, Kleinjahr. I do tend to be a bit lazy when it comes to cleaning stuff. :redface:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?