Alternatives to Metal Casting: Try Metal Repair Compound

In summary, JB Weld is a good product for quick and dirty repairs, but is not as durable as Lab Weld. Epoxy putty is a good alternative for more permanent repairs.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
If this stuff is so good why not use it instead of casting ?

http://www.alibaba.com/catalog/10408794/Metal_Repair_Compound.html

For small batch work, it seems ideal, i have seen other products that claim
to be equal to this, ie one that repairs stainless steel, even shafts, there
must be some (hype) in the claimed properties of these products ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
It would appear to be essentially the same as JB Weld, without the mixing requirement. If so, then it's not nearly as easy to work with as they'd have you believe. Patching something with JB involves a lot of effort to make sure there aren't air pockets or other gaps. I've also found that, contrary to the advertising, it's not prone to accept drilling, tapping, filing etc. without crumbling.

Its not the same as JB Weld, different viscosity. Sure there's marketing hype, and the MSDS has plenty of haz warnings, and you really should check out its hardness/abrasion resistance before buying too far into the hype.

JB Weld has worked well for me, drilled and tapped before but it was an encapsulated patch so it kept the material completely in compression during those operations. Great stuff, not many other ways to patch stuff, its like duct tape that lasts longer... :smile:

I imagine Lab Weld could be used for supeficial repairs, but in high stress or fatigue susceptible applications, I doubt it would be satisfactory.

I can't imagine repair a pump shaft for example.

It all comes down the service environment.

Cliff_J said:
JB Weld has worked well for me
Me too, in many applications. It's possible that I didn't mix the bad batches as well as I should have, or got too much skin oil in them while kneading. Besides the crumbling under tool use, I've had some that absolutely refused to stick to the material that I was trying to repair (and it wasn't anything exotic).

Probably good enough for quick and dirty patching/repairs, usually temporary. Keeps you going 'til new part arrives.
Personally I like the epoxy putty, various brands. Just cut what you need off, knead it and shape it. I've used it for holes in panels mostly. Recently used it to repair a valve and the worn end of a pump impeller. Both seem to be doing well.
Danger: Hint, clean the surface really well. Then slightly roughen and clean again. Leave no oil, rust or emery behind.

Thanks for the tip, Kleinjahr. I do tend to be a bit lazy when it comes to cleaning stuff. :redface:

1. What is metal repair compound?

Metal repair compound is a type of material that is used to repair damaged or broken metal objects. It is a mixture of various components, such as resins, fillers, and hardeners, that are combined to create a strong and durable bond with the metal.

2. How is metal repair compound different from traditional metal casting?

Metal repair compound is different from traditional metal casting in several ways. First, it does not require the use of heat or specialized equipment, making it a more accessible option for DIY repairs. Additionally, it can be used to repair specific areas of metal objects, rather than creating an entirely new object. Lastly, metal repair compound does not involve the melting and pouring of metal, making it a cleaner and safer option.

3. What types of metal can be repaired with metal repair compound?

Metal repair compound can be used on a variety of metals, including steel, aluminum, iron, brass, and copper. It is also suitable for repairing different types of metal objects, such as tools, machinery, household items, and even vehicles.

4. How is metal repair compound applied?

Metal repair compound is typically applied in a similar way to traditional adhesives or fillers. The surface of the metal object is cleaned and roughened, and then the compound is applied and shaped as needed. Some metal repair compounds may also require mixing before use.

5. Is metal repair compound as strong as traditional metal casting?

Metal repair compound can be just as strong as traditional metal casting, depending on the type of compound used and the application process. However, it is important to note that metal repair compound is not suitable for repairing load-bearing or structural components, as it may not have the same level of strength and durability as traditional metal casting in these applications.