Lab Partners-is it always like this, or is it just me?

• Thread starter HeLiXe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lab
In summary, Lab Partners can be a source of frustration for some students. Students usually get frustrated with their lab partners when they do not follow instructions correctly or do not take the time to do things correctly.

HeLiXe said:
Research :!)

Yes I also tend to do most/all of the work when in groups. I think I bring it on myself though. *must act stupiderer* :uhh:

Thx for all of your input micromass :) Love your new signature btw lol

Regarding micro's sig - I've had many experiences working with a lab partner where it's a bit like trying to do a math proof in a group...:tongue2:

Physics news on Phys.org

lisab said:
Regarding micro's sig - I've had many experiences working with a lab partner where it's a bit like trying to do a math proof in a group...:tongue2:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'm reminded a little of my lab group from last semester. There was one guy in particular who was often goofing off, and did none of the mental heavy lifting (though we did get him to do some of the more tedious bits of experiment). The weird thing was, I think his goofing off drove the rest of us to be more focused. The one day he decided to take off, we got nothing done. It was as if the entire lab group developed attention deficit disorder that day.

I'm not sure I have a point to this, but the memory just crossed my mind.

I think having fun in lab sometimes makes it go better. My lab partner (a different one) and I had so much fun in our titration lab and our work yielded the most accurate results. :D A few of the lab teams were competing with us lol

I have two project/lab partners that I always work with. We each have our areas that we are perfectionists, so we work well with each other.

That's great michielyn :):)

OK I have to bump this *sigh* DE lab is due tomorrow and my lab partner has yet to contact me. Well I guess it's not 10 pm yet (the last time he contacted me the day before the lab was due), but this is a very involved lab. I can do it by myself, but I will definitely let the prof know he did nothing and I'm not putting his name on it either.

HeLiXe said:
OK I have to bump this *sigh* DE lab is due tomorrow and my lab partner has yet to contact me. Well I guess it's not 10 pm yet (the last time he contacted me the day before the lab was due), but this is a very involved lab. I can do it by myself, but I will definitely let the prof know he did nothing and I'm not putting his name on it either.

Hmmm :frown: The same stupid partner again, I guess??

Did you speak to him last time that you didn't like it that he didn't do much?? He should have gotten the message.
Maybe it's better to do the work by yourself and just tell the prof that he didn't do anything. It serves him well! Doing this kinds of things to people is just not done, he should understand it.

Yep same one. -_-

I spoke to him about it but he just looked at me blankly LOL

HeLiXe said:
Yep same one. -_-

I spoke to him about it but he just looked at me blankly LOL

Then speak to your prof. Don't feel bad about it, he should have changed his way.

I was in a group once where one person did not cooperate. So in the end we wrote in our reports exactly what everybody did. Maybe that's something you could do to?

Unless there's a pattern of error then no don't double check your mate's work. Super precise measurements are really needed if you're just wasting time. This is a classroom and not an actual lab. Your work isn't really going to mean much.

Not to mean to slack off and rush through things either.

But I don't know I've never really experienced this, I've always worked with friends during labs. I've always hated chem though so I was always the slacker in doing the actual experiments and measurements. I generally tried to sit back and do all the mental work.

micromass said:
Then speak to your prof. Don't feel bad about it, he should have changed his way.

I was in a group once where one person did not cooperate. So in the end we wrote in our reports exactly what everybody did. Maybe that's something you could do to?
Thanks micromass, I would not like to see him get an "F" but at this point there is nothing I can do. Who knows, maybe he partnered up with one of the other teams in class without notifying me...although I really doubt it because our prof said we have to keep the same partner(s)--no exceptions. Still no contact so I am just going to finish it up. I am SO happy I started working on it lol.
Chunkysalsa said:
Unless there's a pattern of error then no don't double check your mate's work. Super precise measurements are really needed if you're just wasting time. This is a classroom and not an actual lab. Your work isn't really going to mean much.

Not to mean to slack off and rush through things either.

But I don't know I've never really experienced this, I've always worked with friends during labs. I've always hated chem though so I was always the slacker in doing the actual experiments and measurements. I generally tried to sit back and do all the mental work.
Thanks Chunkysalsa :) I have never worked with friends in lab, but I am being more mindful of how I come across since starting this thread. I definitely do not want to make anyone feel as if I am underestimating them.

Hi HeLiXe, :smile:

If your tone in-person is anything like your posts on PF, then I don't think you need to worry about how you're coming across to others. Your peers should feel extremely fortunate to have you as a lab partner and should be appreciative of your meticulousness. I've read many of your posts and find you to be one of the most considerate, humble, and respectful members of this community.

Thanks Dembadon :redface::blushing::blushing: lol I am so bad at handling good compliments lol. That is very kind of you :)