1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lab problem: 2d collision

1. Oct 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Stationary ball is placed 20 degrees to the right of the moving ball's trajectory. Both balls are of same weight. Collision occurs and balls part at 90 degree angle. We measured it and it was 90 degrees on two occasions.

Explain why it is 90.

2. Relevant equations

Momentum conservation law?

3. The attempt at a solution

Can't think of any

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2009 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's a collision, so yes use momentum conservation, but remember that this is a two-dimensional collision.. Is there anything else that is conserved? What do you think?

4. Oct 10, 2009 #3
    Honestly if I knew I wouldn't ask.

Can someone please, at least, tell me what topic to read?

5. Oct 10, 2009 #4
    Bump, anyone???

6. Oct 10, 2009 #5

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Read about two-dimensional collisions and momentum conservation. Then read about conservation of energy. Apply these ideas to your problem.

7. Oct 10, 2009 #6
    I swear to god I read the whole chapter on impulse and momentum on friday night. There was nothing about angle. I know you're not suppose to reveal direct answers but for christs sake, can I get a break?

8. Oct 11, 2009 #7
    anyone?

9. Oct 11, 2009 #8

ideasrule

Homework Helper

It's strange that there was nothing about angle in that chapter on momentum. Momentum has to be conserved in both the x and y directions, so write out the equations for those. Energy is also roughly conserved; if it wasn't, the balls would stick together and not part. So you have three equations: two for conservation of momentum and one for conservation of energy. Solve them.

10. Oct 11, 2009 #9
    momentum has to be conserved in both the x and y directions,

ok i see now

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook