Lab Question and Homework Help

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of efficiency in a heat-transfer process. The individual has measured the temperature gain of water before and after heating it up and is now trying to determine the efficiency using the equation E=Pxt. There is some confusion about using the definition of a calorie and whether to use the equation Q=mCΔT, which requires the mass of the water. It is suggested to use the density of the water to calculate the mass. The final conclusion is that efficiency is usually quoted as a percentage and can be calculated by dividing the amount of heat transferred to the water by the total energy used in the process.
Dhooy7

Homework Statement

So I am doing a mini-lab and I measured the temperature of water before heating it up and after. I determined delta T or the temperature gain to be https://www.physicsforums.com/file:///C:/Users/BADGER~1/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/07/clip_image002.gif =20.555https://www.physicsforums.com/file:///C:/Users/BADGER~1/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/07/clip_image004.gif

Now it states to calculate the efficiency of the heat-transfer process asuuming the power outuput of the oven is 1000W.

Homework Equations

E=P xt

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking about calculating the energy output which is 30,000 J

Then use the definition of a calorie. Not sure if there is an equation for this or not. It is the delta T or temperature gain multiplied by the amount of liters which is 0.250 L. The energy input is 5.139 Calories and converting that to joules is 21501.576 J. Then you subtract the two for the energy efficiency. Is this correct?

Someone said to use this equation: Q=mCΔT

I don't have a mass. Which way is correct? Am I on the right track or not?
[/B]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dhooy7 said:

Homework Statement

So I am doing a mini-lab and I measured the temperature of water before heating it up and after. I determined delta T or the temperature gain to be https://www.physicsforums.com/file:///C:/Users/BADGER~1/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/07/clip_image002.gif =20.555https://www.physicsforums.com/file:///C:/Users/BADGER~1/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/07/clip_image004.gif

Now it states to calculate the efficiency of the heat-transfer process asuuming the power outuput of the oven is 1000W.

For some reason, the images attached to your post aren't working correctly.

Homework Equations

E=P xt

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I was thinking about calculating the energy output which is 30,000 J

Then use the definition of a calorie. Not sure if there is an equation for this or not.

Then state the definition for the calorie unit verbatim.

It is the delta T or temperature gain multiplied by the amount of liters which is 0.250 L. The energy input is 5.139 Calories and converting that to joules is 21501.576 J. Then you subtract the two for the energy efficiency. Is this correct?

It's not clear how you are calculating efficiency here. Hint: efficiency is usually quoted as a percentage.

Someone said to use this equation: Q=mCΔT

I don't have a mass. Which way is correct? Am I on the right track or not?

If this is a lab, you should have all your formulas squared away before you start to do the experiment. You shouldn't have to rely on what "someone" said.

If you have an amount of water in liters, you can find out what the mass of the water is. That's why you learned what "density" is for. (At least, I hope you did.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would assume the efficiency would be: (amount of heat transferred to the water)/(total amount of energy used by the process) x 100
Certainly you would need Q=mcwΔT to calculate the first term.
The second term is the amount of electric energy that was converted to heat by the oven,
of which just Q was transferred to the water.

1. What is "Lab Question and Homework Help"?

"Lab Question and Homework Help" is a service that provides assistance with laboratory experiments and homework assignments in various scientific fields. Our team of experts offers guidance and support to help you understand and complete your lab work and assignments successfully.

2. How does "Lab Question and Homework Help" work?

Once you submit your lab question or homework assignment, our team of experts will carefully review it and provide you with step-by-step solutions and explanations. You can also ask follow-up questions and receive further clarification on the concepts covered in your lab or assignment.

3. Who are the experts providing "Lab Question and Homework Help"?

Our team of experts consists of experienced scientists and educators with advanced degrees in various scientific disciplines such as biology, chemistry, physics, and engineering. They have a deep understanding of the subject matter and are well-equipped to provide comprehensive and accurate assistance.

4. Is "Lab Question and Homework Help" available for all levels of education?

Yes, our service is available for students at all levels of education, from high school to graduate school. Our experts have the knowledge and experience to assist with a wide range of lab experiments and homework assignments, regardless of the complexity or level of difficulty.

5. Is "Lab Question and Homework Help" a free service?

No, "Lab Question and Homework Help" is not a free service. However, we offer affordable pricing options and discounts for bulk purchases. We also ensure that our services are of high quality and value, providing you with the best possible assistance for your lab and homework needs.