What are the units for m and Delta m in the spring formula?

In summary, the conversation is discussing a formula for calculating the period of an oscillating mass-spring system and clarifying the units of measurement used. The formula includes a change in mass and change in spring constant, both of which are in kilograms (kg). The error formula is also expected to be in kg since all physical quantities are typically expressed in SI units. The use of "Delta" represents uncertainty rather than change.
SS2006
i have this error formula

1/2 (change in m/m + change in k/k) * square root of m/k

now my question is

the m in the m/k is that in kg or grams

and the m in the change in m/m is that in grams or kg

my classmates are having mixed results, I am confused, want to kow the real way
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
the real formula were trying to prove

2 (pie) * root of m/k

the m was in KG so I am assuming in the error its in KG too right

noone ?!
please ppl

Hey, I believe the formula you have is one used to calculate the period of an oscillating mass-spring system.

Anyway, in order to obtain clear working, we normally express all physical quantities in SI units. The SI unit for mass is kg, and I suppose if you used kg as the unit for mass in your calculations, the error will also be in kg.

Hope this helps!

Delta m / m is unitless ... so is Delta k /k !
They must be, because you add them!

By the way: HERE, Delta means "uncertainty", not change.

1. How do you calculate the spring constant?

The spring constant, also known as the force constant, can be calculated by dividing the applied force by the displacement of the spring. It is represented by the letter k and has units of N/m (newtons per meter).

2. What is Hooke's law and how does it relate to the spring formula?

Hooke's law states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. This is represented by the equation F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement. This equation is used in the spring formula (F = kx) to calculate the force exerted by a spring at a given displacement.

3. How does the mass of an object affect the spring formula?

The mass of an object does not directly affect the spring formula. However, the force exerted by the spring on the object will vary depending on its mass, as the displacement of the spring will be different for different masses. Therefore, the spring constant (k) will remain constant, but the resulting force (F) will vary.

4. Can the spring formula be used for all types of springs?

The spring formula (F = kx) can be used for most types of springs, as long as they follow Hooke's law. This includes ideal springs with linear force-displacement relationships, such as a metal coil spring, as well as non-ideal springs with nonlinear relationships, such as rubber bands or bungee cords. However, it may not accurately predict the behavior of complex springs with multiple components or different materials.

5. How does temperature affect the spring formula?

The spring formula does not take into account the effect of temperature on a spring. However, temperature can affect the properties of the material the spring is made of, which in turn can affect the spring constant. For example, an increase in temperature can cause a metal spring to expand, resulting in a decrease in the spring constant and a change in the force-displacement relationship. Therefore, it is important to consider the effects of temperature when using the spring formula in experiments.