1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Lab report graphs help

1. Sep 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have to do a lab report on centripetal force, frequency and radius. My question is, does a graph have to show the (0,0) points? Also, I got an equation out of the graphing software for one of the graphs and it was y = 1.51x^0.4233, is it okay to use this equation or y = ax^b?

2. Relevant equations
    y = ax^b
    y = 1.51x0.4233

3. The attempt at a solution
    None

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

What are you plotting on the graph? Once the axes are labeled, you don't necessarily have to point out (0,0).

4. Sep 18, 2010 #3
    I'm plotting Frequency vs radius for a constant centripetal force. Also, the graph has an exponential relation; frequency is exponentially proportional to the radius. But, the graph is going downards, not upwards. So, how do I state the proportionality? Here is the equation:

y = 36.86 x^-0.7429

5. Sep 18, 2010 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

36.86 is a constant so you can just say that y∝x-0.7429

6. Sep 18, 2010 #5
    Like this?

Table 2 shows that frequency decreases with radius. A plot of the frequency vs. radius from the data in Table 2 is drawn in Graph 2. The shape of this graph suggests that y ∝ x-0.7429. The software shows that the curve that best fits the data is given by y = 36.86 x-^0.7429.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook