How do pH and enzymes interact in a lab setting?

In summary, a student asks about the pH range for an enzyme in a lab report. They suggest subtracting the solution's concentration from 7.0 to determine the new pH, but this approach is incorrect. The conversation then moves on to discussing buffers and provides resources for further understanding.
Jbreezy

Homework Statement

Hi just a quick question. I was doing a lab report and this enzyme is supposed to work between the pH of 6.7 and 7. So I had solution of .0125 N and I said OK just subtract this from 7.0 and say that is the new Ph. So for instance 7.0 -0.125 = 6.98
I said OK this is within range so the enzyme should work. I just made this up.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is as wrong as wrong can be?

Physics news on Phys.org

What is pH and why is it important in enzyme activity?

pH is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution, and it is important in enzyme activity because enzymes are sensitive to changes in pH. Each enzyme has an optimal pH at which it functions most efficiently, and any deviation from this pH can affect its activity.

How does pH affect the activity of enzymes?

Changes in pH can alter the charge of the amino acids in the active site of an enzyme, which can affect the enzyme's ability to bind to its substrate. This can either increase or decrease the enzyme's activity, depending on the specific enzyme and the direction of the pH change.

What happens if the pH is too high or too low for an enzyme?

If the pH is too high or too low, the enzyme's activity can be significantly reduced or completely inhibited. This is because extreme pH levels can cause the enzyme's structure to change, which can prevent it from properly binding to its substrate.

How can pH be controlled when working with enzymes?

pH can be controlled by using buffers, which are solutions that resist changes in pH. Buffers are made up of a weak acid and its conjugate base, and they can help maintain a stable pH within a certain range.

Can enzymes work at any pH?

No, enzymes have specific pH optima at which they work best. Some enzymes may have a broad pH range in which they can function, while others are more specific and require a very narrow pH range for optimal activity.