Resistivity and Resistance in n-type and p-type Germanium

In summary, the resistivity of Germanium decreases with increasing temperature due to the thermal excitation of charge carriers in both n-type and p-type semiconductors.
CNX
Resistivity of Ge

I'm doing this lab and haven't taken any SS physics so I'm expected to pick up some of the theory on my own.

I am having trouble explaining the resistance vs temperature curve for n-type and p-type Germanium, i.e. why does resistance increase and then drop from around 290 K to 400 K?

Does the relation between resistivity and resistance, [itex]\rho = R \frac{A}{l}[/itex] still hold for a semiconductor at any temperature?

My intuition wants to say the increased thermal energy of electrons in the conduction band increases resistance from 290 K to the peak, but eventually electrons in the valence band have enough energy to jump the band gap therefore resistance begins to decrease. And I'm not sure about n-type vs p-type here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the relation between resistivity and resistance still holds for a semiconductor at any temperature. For n-type Germanium, as the temperature increases, more electrons are thermally excited into the conduction band, thus increasing conductivity and reducing resistivity. However, when the temperature reaches a high enough value, the thermal excitation of electrons in the valence band is sufficient to increase the number of charge carriers, which further reduces the resistivity. This explains why the resistivity of n-type Ge decreases with increasing temperature.For p-type Germanium, as the temperature increases, more holes are thermally excited into the conduction band, thus increasing conductivity and reducing resistivity. However, when the temperature reaches a high enough value, the thermal excitation of holes in the valence band is sufficient to increase the number of charge carriers, which further reduces the resistivity. This explains why the resistivity of p-type Ge decreases with increasing temperature.

1. What is the purpose of the "Lab - Resistivity of Ge" experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to determine the resistivity of germanium (Ge), which is a measure of how well a material resists the flow of electric current. This measurement can help us understand the electrical properties of Ge and how it can be used in various electronic devices.

2. What materials are needed for the experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment include a sample of germanium, a power source, two multimeters, connecting wires, and a ruler. It is also recommended to have a calculator and a data table for recording measurements.

3. How is the resistivity of Ge calculated?

The resistivity of Ge is calculated by measuring the length, width, and thickness of the sample and then using Ohm's law (V = IR) to calculate the resistance. The resistivity (ρ) is then calculated using the formula ρ = RA/L, where R is the resistance, A is the cross-sectional area, and L is the length of the sample.

4. What factors can affect the resistivity of Ge?

The resistivity of Ge can be affected by various factors such as temperature, impurities, and crystal structure. As temperature increases, the resistivity of Ge also increases. Impurities can also increase the resistivity by disrupting the flow of electrons. The crystal structure of Ge can also affect its resistivity, with single crystal Ge having a lower resistivity compared to polycrystalline Ge.

5. What are the applications of Ge based on its resistivity?

Ge has a high resistivity and is a semiconductor, making it useful in a variety of electronic devices such as transistors, diodes, and solar cells. Its high resistivity also makes it useful as a detector material in radiation detection equipment. Ge is also used in the production of infrared lenses and as a component in fiber optic communication systems.