How did lab yeast make the evolutionary leap to multicellularity?

• Thread starter Pythagorean
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lab
In summary, scientists have discovered that lab yeast has made a leap to multicellularity, which has sparked questions about how this can be compared to real life evolution. The experiment involved centrifugation and selection, and while it may not directly reflect how multicellular life evolved in the past, it highlights the possibility of it occurring given the right circumstances. The research also sheds light on the dynamics of living systems and provides valuable information for theoreticians studying the transition between unicellular and multicellular organisms.
Biology news on Phys.org

Interesting, I wonder how the centrifugation represents real life? Perhaps strong tides or water pressure?

That is just amazing.

ryan_m_b said:
Interesting, I wonder how the centrifugation represents real life? Perhaps strong tides or water pressure?
I thought the centrifugation was only to collect the heaviest globs of cells. Thereby selecting for those clusters.

ryan_m_b said:
I wonder how the centrifugation represents real life?

It doesn't, it just adds kind of selection. Evolution doesn't care about whether selection has any real life meaning, it just follows higher survivability path.

Evo said:
I thought the centrifugation was only to collect the heaviest globs of cells. Thereby selecting for those clusters.

Borek said:
It doesn't, it just adds kind of selection. Evolution doesn't care about whether selection has any real life meaning, it just follows higher survivability path.

Exactly, the point was if this is how multicellularity has evolved in the lab then how does this experiment compare to how it could have evolved in the real world.

Is it not the usual supposition that multi-cellular life evolved because it improves the facility of individual genes to achieve maximum self-replication? The suggestion then is that, given enough time, the lab based yeast might have achieved this in any case, it just might have taken a few million years longer than the scientists had. Introducing an artificial environmental pressure just jockeyed the process along a bit. The point of the exercise, perhaps, was not to explain exactly how multi-cellular life actually first evolved, but just to highlight the fundamental possibility for it to do so given the right circumstances, and perhaps to provide a small answer to those who like to claim that evolutionary theory is not falsifiable and thus not scientific.

Ken Natton said:
Is it not the usual supposition that multi-cellular life evolved because it improves the facility of individual genes to achieve maximum self-replication? The suggestion then is that, given enough time, the lab based yeast might have achieved this in any case, it just might have taken a few million years longer than the scientists had. Introducing an artificial environmental pressure just jockeyed the process along a bit. The point of the exercise, perhaps, was not to explain exactly how multi-cellular life actually first evolved, but just to highlight the fundamental possibility for it to do so given the right circumstances, and perhaps to provide a small answer to those who like to claim that evolutionary theory is not falsifiable and thus not scientific.

It may or may not have been the point of the experiment to study mechanisms by which single celled organisms can evolve multicellularity but whenever it comes to experiments like this I tend to be overly critical and think "well ok but what's that got to do with real life?".

The thought that occurred to me reading the piece that Pythagorean linked to is this point that no-one is more sceptical about the work of any serious scientist than are other serious scientists. Maybe I am wearing rose coloured spectacles, but it does seem to me that the dialogue between William Ratcliff and his team on the one hand, and Neil Blackstone and his team on the other might lead this research towards some scientifically robust and genuinely worthwhile conclusion.

ryan_m_b said:
It may or may not have been the point of the experiment to study mechanisms by which single celled organisms can evolve multicellularity but whenever it comes to experiments like this I tend to be overly critical and think "well ok but what's that got to do with real life?".

From a theoretical biology point of view, this is very interesting to me whether it reflects evolutionary history or not; it tells more about the living system dynamics (especially if changes in expression are observed and correlated with the transition)

More interesting to a theoretician, it allows us to come closer to making quantitative generalizations about concepts like "multicellular".

Pythagorean said:
From a theoretical biology point of view, this is very interesting to me whether it reflects evolutionary history or not; it tells more about the living system dynamics (especially if changesbin expression are observed and correlated with te transition)

I do find it interesting, just wonder how it relates to evolution IRL.

ryan_m_b said:
I do find it interesting, just wonder how it relates to evolution IRL.

For me, it sheds light on the transition between unicellular and multicellular. Not how it went, but more data to constrain how it must have went.

1. What is the purpose of studying lab yeast going multicellular?

The purpose of studying lab yeast going multicellular is to understand the molecular mechanisms and evolutionary processes involved in the transition from single-celled to multicellular organisms. This research can also shed light on the origins of multicellularity in other organisms.

2. How do scientists induce multicellularity in lab yeast?

Scientists induce multicellularity in lab yeast by manipulating environmental conditions such as nutrient availability and stress levels, as well as genetic modifications. This allows them to observe how different factors affect the transition to multicellularity.

3. What are the potential benefits of lab yeast going multicellular?

The potential benefits of lab yeast going multicellular include increased resilience to environmental stresses, improved efficiency in nutrient uptake and utilization, and the ability to form complex structures for specialized functions. These benefits may also have implications for biotechnology and industrial applications.

4. Are there any drawbacks to studying lab yeast going multicellular?

One potential drawback is that lab yeast may not accurately represent natural multicellular organisms, as they have been specifically bred and manipulated in controlled laboratory environments. This could limit the generalizability of findings to other organisms. Additionally, it may be ethically questionable to manipulate organisms in this way.

5. What are some current theories about the evolution of multicellularity in lab yeast?

Some current theories about the evolution of multicellularity in lab yeast include the "snowball effect" hypothesis, which suggests that multicellularity emerged gradually through the accumulation of small genetic changes, and the "big leap" hypothesis, which proposes that a major genetic mutation or event triggered the switch to multicellularity in a single step.